Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Aruba since 1979
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/cell%20phones.html
    check out the above link for cell phone info
    Quote Originally Posted by aruba0725 View Post
    Hi, I am visiting the island soon and would like to know what I can and should do about phone and internet usage while there. I've heard of several differnt ways and would like advice on the best. Do I rent a phone? Buy a calling card? There is so much info out there and I'm getting confused! HELP!!

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    with my verizon, the roaming charges are so high that it is so much cheaper to rent a phone for me. my phone does not have the sim card so i can't buy one of those. i rent a cellphone for two weeks that gives me unlimited text and incoming calls. and i get a certain amount of minutes per week which i never use up all of them since i only check home to check on the animals every couple of days.

as far as internet, i travel light so bringing a laptop (which i don't own anyway or want to buy) is not an option. there is an internet cafe in the high rise area at Paseo Herencia. you can buy either hours or buy a week or two weeks that gives you a code to put in and counts down the time. I usually do the two week one that gives me 6 hours and that works right up to the last hours in aruba. i usually stop there each nite, check my email and a few things and that's it. i'm not one to want to surf the internet on vacation so it works for me

Mango Halto, East Coast jeep riding, Palm Beach
    I rented from Aruba Discount Cell. I got a Blackberry so I would have email and Internet. I had never used a Blackberry and it tookme half the week to learn how to use it. It was handy.

I say ask yourself, do you really need it? I am severly addicted to my smartphone and laptop, but when I am in Aruba, they stay home. Well I bring my phone but once I hit the air, it stays off and in the safe for most of the trip. I make sure my data roaming is disabled and check voicemail once or twice during the middle of the week just for emergencies. I give our closest relatives a full itinerary with the hotel's phone number and hope for the best.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    trip-planner, i rent from aruba discount cell also but never rented the blackberry. i don't know how to use that either so its cheaper for me to use the internet cafe to check my emails, lol.

I need to clarify that I was in the phone rental business. That said, Imagine this scene during the pre-cell phone days:

A man or woman sits in an office and paper is stacked everywhere. He can bearly see the top of his desk. In that mess of paper are some important document, like his plane ticket to
    Aruba, plus some more. His mortgage payments are there and the brand new business licence is also buried in the stack of papers. NO one seems to be able to figure this mess out and they chastise him so he spends a day fixing his papers and salivates over his upcoming trip to Aruba and the lack of paper work and papers that will be taking his life over.

He gets everything in order and then sends off a message to Aruba inquiring where he can rent some paper to put on his night table while he is there.

We are creatures of obsession

be well and
    be kind to each other
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12