Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Plastic bags ....banned..... effective Jan 1 2017

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    That is great to hear! We must have at least a dozen of those Divi bags from the airport. We take them every year to Ling's and put our groceries in those. If you try it, just double the ones for the milk.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Great news! To protect nature and environment!

Amigoe has this article about it. Here is the Google translation:

Offering plastic bags should be banned from 2017

Friday, May 20th, 2016 14:36

ORANJESTAD - For the protection of nature and the environment must apply a ban from January 1, 2017 on providing plastic bags for single use. The bill for this was submitted yesterday to the States. Companies have six months to arrange a replacement for the plastic bag that is both environmentally and customer friendly.

By our reporter

Bobby Spier

"Aruba nature must be protected." That gives AVP faction Donny Rasmijn, responsible for matters concerning nature and the environment, as motivation for filing the bill. The law, which amends the General Police, to come into effect by January 1, 2017 and relates specifically prohibiting "providing plastic carrier bags with handle, which by their nature for single use. This is because 'these bags end up in nature and the environment of Aruba. For example, to illustrate the bill, which Amigoe holds that investigated that it takes a thousand years for a plastic bag to break down in its entirety and that plastic waste worldwide, killing hundreds of thousands of birds and marine animals. Animals can become entangled in plastic mass, thus starving, drowning or choking.

Never grow

In Aruba has also investigated the impact of plastic. Thus came the Dutch student Rikkert Loosveld last year concluded that the mangrove, which as a natural separation of landfill Parkietenbos serves is severely damaged and dirtied by blown away and dumped (plastic waste). The mangrove is according to him, even so badly that when nature dies, there would never be able to grow anything. The bill points out that from Loosveld's research showed that 98 percent of the pollution from soft plastics (plastic) exists, of which 96 percent comes from different kinds of soft plastic that were intended for single use only.

Awareness

The intention is that prior to the ban launched an awareness campaign to influence consumption of the user of plastic bags. "If the community is better informed about the harmful effects of plastic bags on the entail, the more likely they adjust their consumption on this. There promises have been made by sponsors and stakeholders within the sphere of tourism and the environment in order to finance the campaign, "says the bill.

Companies have six months to arrange a replacement for the plastic bag that is both environmentally and customer friendly. The intention is that they will use bags that are not harmful or less in its entirety for the environment, such as solid bigshoppers. The police and the Office City Inspector shall be responsible for monitoring this law. In July public meeting must be convened a public meeting in which the bill is being discussed, says Rasmijn. But he expects that everyone will stand behind the proposal. "I have this already filed many motions and all of which were supported by all members of parliament, so I do not expect that people will be against it." But he has been approached by a company that manufactures plastic bags Aruba. "They claim to be responsible for 10 percent of local plastic bags market, but we have indicated that they now have to think of something else. As an environmentally friendly bag, for example, its own design. "Biodegradable Under the ban soon, are also biodegradable bags. This is because the short-term bags also cause pollution of the environment and the environment. Plastic bags for waste containers are permitted, provided they contain no carrying handle. The use of the plastic bag is not prohibited. The bill indicates that this is especially important for tourists. "The inclusion of a plastic bag is therefore permitted, but in Aruba will not be allowed to offered a plastic bag.

http://amigoe.com/aruba/228094-aanbi...-verboden-zijn

This is great news. I can't begin to tell you how many plastic bags I pulled from the sea while walking down the beach this last trip. The amount actually surprised me.

I wonder where all the trash that Aruba catches on it's north coast comes from, other Islands, cruise ships? One thing I have noticed compared to 15 years ago is less trash blown about and stuck to vegetation within Aruba.

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    Styrofoam food containers should be next.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

We just came up to our camp in NH and I used all my Divi bags for lugging up stuff. They really do come in handy. That said I think it's great they're banning plastic bags

The bags Superfood sells are nice, large, heavy duty construction bags. I've bought them for the last few years and use them all the time at home for food shopping, packing a change of clothes & towels for days at the beach, etc.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

"solid bigshoppers"
    Not sure what they are referring to, but if they are talking about the huge plastic bags that are reusable, that only answers the problem of the bags becoming a trash nuisance or a threat to animals. It does nothing for the environment, as you are still using a plastic bag. They require the same energy to make and same energy to eventually recycle. Believe it or not, plastic bags are better than paper bags, as paper bags use more energy to produce and are less efficient to recycle. I only know some of this because of a paper v plastic science report done by one of my kids in h.s. But, google paper v plastic, you'll get oodles of articles to read.

I too have picked up not only plastic bags on the beach, but also plastic baggies, plastic cups, and plastic silverware. Today I had a plastic grocery bag float past my 4th floor window.

It's great to see Aruba's concern about the environment, let's hope the solution is appropriate. I think canvas bags are the way to go. Like the Divi ones that were mentioned, many stores offer them for $1 or 2. Some stores that want you to buy a bag still sell only plastic or paper.

Now, if I could only remember to take the canvas bags with me from the trunk of my car into the store.....

I work in a grocery store and a lot of customers use reusable bags- my only comment about them is please wash them out! Some are so dirty I wouldn't put my groceries in them! And we have seen some with cockroaches in them! Yuk! I use cloth bags and they get washed regularly!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayshea View Post
    I work in a grocery store and a lot of customers use reusable bags- my only comment about them is please wash them out! Some are so dirty I wouldn't put my groceries in them! And we have seen some with cockroaches in them! Yuk! I use cloth bags and they get washed regularly!
    Though disgusting, that is a very important bit of information! Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast