Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Post a few words

Aruba since 1979
    ouch
    yes, pandemonium is a perfect word for your situation.
    2 boys and 1 husband holy cow.

you must have the patience of a saint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Pandemonium is the perfect word! I obsess and go crazy and write lists on large pieces of paper and leave those lists in the front pocked of each bag as the items get put into each bag. I request the help of the kids to get me two different piles of clothes - one for a carry on (bathing suit & a change of clothes) and the rest for a checked bag (clothes for 4 or 5 days). There are usually 5 carry on bags and 3 or 4 checked bags.

Plus all the household type items for all - air freshener, q-tips, toothpastes for each bathroom, etc. Snorkel gear, food items, ugh. Seriously considering a storage unit this year.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    sometimes the storage unit is not only more cost effective, but helps with cutting down on luggage and luggage fees.

Plus all the household type items for all - air freshener, q-tips, toothpastes for each bathroom, etc. Snorkel gear, food items, ugh. Seriously considering a storage unit this year.

I enjoy packing, because it means that in the not so distant future I will be unpacking at my Aruba destination. Aquatic and hiking gear comprises at least 55% luggage weight, and even more in volume. The remaining belongings (clothes, shoes, hygienic items) are used to fill the vacant areas of space as such to fit everything in one suitcase. I can fit an entire pair of shorts, zip-locked within my 11.5/4E shoe. We always travel ‘to’ without carry-on, but ‘back’ with carry-on because of all the natural (non-agricultural) souvenirs we accumulate. Like sea fans.

1 month (sometimes more) I lay out what I want to take. During the next week, I've taken out some things and replaced them with others. After another week, I've reconsidered my choices and think I need more so I add in a few things (sometimes it's those things I took out). When we get to within a week of departure, I go through everything AGAIN as well as through my closet in case there is anything I think I'll really need. If we are going during the winter, I have to try everything on since I've either gained or lost the same 20 pounds since the last time I wore my summer clothes. Two days before departure I change up which shoes I'm taking and try to take out 1/2 of the clothes I want to take. The day before I give up, shove it all in, zip it up and GO. When I was younger, it took me 1/2 hour to pack. As I get older it takes longer. I have more things maybe? I'm more worried about being comfortable and not so much fashionable???

I took notes last trip of what I wore to reinforce the fact that I need only a swimsuit, a few shorts/tshirts and a few dinner outfits that I can re-wear, since I had them on only for an hour or two.

It really should be so simple! A few swimsuits, a few shorts & Ts, a few dinner outfits, flips, sandals & sneakers - done.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    1 month (sometimes more) I lay out what I want to take. During the next week, I've taken out some things and replaced them with others. After another week, I've reconsidered my choices and think I need more so I add in a few things (sometimes it's those things I took out). When we get to within a week of departure, I go through everything AGAIN as well as through my closet in case there is anything I think I'll really need. If we are going during the winter, I have to try everything on since I've either gained or lost the same 20 pounds since the last time I wore my summer clothes. Two days before departure I change up which shoes I'm taking and try to take out 1/2 of the clothes I want to take. The day before I give up, shove it all in, zip it up and GO. When I was younger, it took me 1/2 hour to pack. As I get older it takes longer. I have more things maybe? I'm more worried about being comfortable and not so much fashionable???

I took notes last trip of what I wore to reinforce the fact that I need only a swimsuit, a few shorts/tshirts and a few dinner outfits that I can re-wear, since I had them on only for an hour or two.

Are you my twin? I am laughing as this is almost identical to my packing.

It really should be so simple! A few swimsuits, a few shorts & Ts, a few dinner outfits, flips, sandals & sneakers - done.
    That's about it for us, all in one carry-on each. Nothing else needed.

Rhys

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    My packing style is taking every swim suit and summer item of clothing I have - and not wear 1/10 of it.

Her: packed nicely in travel cubes, all precise and every eventuality catered for
    Me: whatever I can remember the night before we leave.

strangely hers always end creased 😊

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast