Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Power outage

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Thanks, Andrea and Act.

For a moment I thought if it had anything to do with hurricane Patricia, the "strongest hurricane ever recorded" according to CNN. I wondered if Aruba was effected by strong winds.

Aruba since 1979
    no
    however i think that you, in texas, will feel some effect.
    i can only guess that you do not need more rain.
    Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Thanks, Andrea and Act.

For a moment I thought if it had anything to do with hurricane Patricia, the "strongest hurricane ever recorded" according to CNN. I wondered if Aruba was effected by strong winds.

It was great fun we had no power from 5pm we quickly showered and I did my make up in the dark (hard work) and went over to double down which was busy as they had light, cold beers, food and a few TV working. No air con which was fine I'm always quite cold in there anyway. Power came on at 9pm first thing I did was ask to charge my phone lol. Had a fun night but drank way to much vodka!

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    no
    however i think that you, in texas, will feel some effect.
    i can only guess that you do not need more rain.
    Yes, we did! I'm grateful that we had no flooding in our area in Central Texas, except some flash flood.
    The weather has been strange again as there was extreme lots of rain in May, many areas devastated by flooding. Then it rained almost daily in June. Followed by almost four months of heat, in the 90s, sometimes in the 100s with NO rain! All the grass was so dried out that it was crisp when walking over it and yellow instead of green. There is always the danger of grass fires as some people are just careless with BBQ or cigarettes.

It's cold right now, only 66 degrees F (21C) from being in the 80s (28C). But we needed the rain. I wished we could more "dosage" it.

Power outages are not uncommon in Aruba. When we used to stay at the resorts, we didn't experience them much but now that we own a vacation home we have more visibility to them. The alarm system and security cameras at our house record when there is a loss of power. Sometimes it is just for a short period of time (<1 hr) and other times it can last for several hours but they do occur once every 1-2 months. We've also noticed there is always a power outage during the Christmas/New Year time frame due to such high occupancy on the island ...leading to high usage of electricity that tends to trigger the outages. I typically find the power outages are somewhat enjoyable. Whenever we lose power at the house, that is the trigger to open a bottle of wine, go out on the porch and gaze at the beautiful sky and enjoy the beautiful coastal breeze. At night, it almost feels like camping!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123