Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By charles
  • 1 Post By Pegmeister

Thread: Praise is sometimes needed

Praise is sometimes needed

Every once in a while, praise is really needed. In the past weeks, I have seen some interaction between local businesses and our valued tourists that I can assure you was above and beyond the call for normal duty. If this falls in as advertisement - feel free to erase, I don't think it does except it says something about Aruba.

An elderly lady was dropped off by a taxi to do some shopping at Ling and Sons. Her walking was obviously painful to her but she was spry and wearing all of her tourists regalia of Aruba pins, baseball cap etc. I was in line at the ATM machine as she walked in and saw something special. One of the fruit girls (I guess that is what you call the ladies that care for that department) noticed her and immediately got her a motorized shopping wheel-chair-cart and brought it to her in the nicest manner. The girl said to her "come with me - I will help you" the two of them did quite a bit of shopping and ended up with the same "Fruit girl" taking her to a taxi and REFUSING a tip. My admiration goes to the lady for remaining active and the fruit girl for doing something very special.

As you all know by my signature, i am in a service business. The economy being what it is, I have a staff of ONE - me. So I get to meet all of my customers personally. As I waited at a hotel for a client to come in, I was informed that they would be very late due to flight delays so I went home and looked at the reservation and found that they would be using SMART RENTALS. At about 10pm I went to the rental office to see what the status was and found the reception area full of tourists getting their cars. No big deal right? Wrong. The staff had made sure that there was coffee for everyone and that the kids had juice and a trinket to keep them busy. Luggage was handled seamlessly and from a corner, one of the tourists (Canadian and my customer) said "Nice to be back home" As if in church the entire group chimed in with "AMEN". Smart is sometimes as simple as kindness. I have experienced other very positive experiences with them.

I went to get prices on the I-PADS for my son's birthday. While looking at one (damned things are expensive) A father and son were looking at one as well and the kid was maybe 8 years old and both were dressed in bathing suits, a t-shirt and flip-flops. After a while the person helping them went to the boy (not the father) and asked him what he wanted for his next present? the kid said he wanted a (something-or-other) station. The clerk took him to the station and asked if this is the one. Bright eyed the kid says yes. the clerk then brings him back to his father and says " this I-POD is expensive so why don't you get this smaller version and let your daddy save for next year. The kid nods, the father is in awe and I am flabbergasted. Since it was out of my price range as well, I just kept on looking and then, the Dad goes to pay and whips out one of those black AMEX cards with enough credit on it to make a loan to a small country. Manny, your staff has class, Dad, you are one lucky man and kid, god bless your innocence. Same thing here again, Dad goes to leave a tip and the clerk does not accept.

I was sufficiently impressed to have hooked up with one of the above business wise. Is this advertising? NO. I just want everyone to understand that this is one heck of a great place to come and shop and be served and that because one Jeweler is a scam artist, it should not taint us all,

be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Just more examples of what makes Aruba, Aruba. She is a very very special place indeed.

Charles, one year we were in Aruba and my husband got really sick (could have died) and first I had to go get a RX filled. I was just beside myself. I was a wreck--the cab driver took me to the pharmacy--I noticed I didn't have a lot of cash with me but a credit card--bless him he would not take my $3.00 BUT he went in the pharmacy with me, for fear I wouldn't be able to understand the language. He waited and helped me, then took me back. Such a great person. We haven't seen him since that time. But have asked about him. Then when my husband had to go to the hospital--the hotel called me at the hospital to see if I wanted them to come get me so I could shower and eat, and would take me back to the hospital. Bless these people, they always took me to the hospital and came and got me and he was in the hospital for 4 days. I know they were busy---but they did it anyway.
    I just love these stories, to know there are still great people out there. And as busy as your beautiful island is people have ALWAYS been so kind to us. That is another reason we keep going back.
    Thank you so much for your great stories.
    Pat

I had a similar experience as Love Aruba. I came down with strep throat one year. After a couple of painful days, I finally decided to see someone. I was directed to the emergency room at the hospital which filled me with dread as this would be a good 4-5 hour trip in the US. Within minutes, paperwork was filled out and 20 minutes later I was sitting in front of the doctor. A quick test and prescription in hand, they called us a cab. Apparently only one pharmacy is opened at night which was quite a distance away. The driver pointed out areas of interest along the way and then waited while the script was filled. He got us back to the hotel in time for our dinner reservation. Everyone made an experience that could have been not so pleasant, a pleasure...and by the next day, felt great. When I think about how unpleasant that would have been here at home, it makes it even better.

PS - Charles, thank you for sharing and your service ranks right up there with the people you wrote about!!

Aruba since 1979
    yes an advertisement.........an advertisement for ARUBA and how folks residents and tourists alike live by the GOLDEN RULE (aka kindness and compassion)

Thanks to everyone for sharing your wonderful stories about Aruba and the people. Keep them coming.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River

kindess of aruba's to tourists and kindness of members here....

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaDolores View Post
    Thanks to everyone for sharing your wonderful stories about Aruba and the people. Keep them coming.
    My story...well, actually several...
    1. Rob says he wants a balashi flag to a few people...bingo, we end up with 3
    2. Rob says he wants an Aruba.com shirt...bingo, he gets one
    3. Jen turns 16 in aruba...bingo, paper comes, does family photo shoot...lunch free for family of 8
    4. We arrive at the Rennaissance Suites...family of 24...yep, all the waiters/waitresses come running to see us at the bar, pool area, private island...they are excited we are there....
    5. Relative is sick, hotel makes dr arrangements, relative arrives at dr, waiting room fulll...dr takes relative next, locals wait...
    NOW, how is that for taking care of us !!! That is why we return yearly, sometimes 2x a year.

Next, kindness/friendships of members on aruba.com...
    It is also heartwarming to have members on this board who have become friends. We write about our families to each other...Take for example meeting members on this site when in aruba. We have met and dined with Randi and her family, spent pool time with Lisa and family, met Andrea& Paul at the Renn, communicate daily with Ed, met ~amy~! at BB and on the street... During my last "layup" Ed sent me a book to read while couch bound....
    How nice is this.....We know each other...NICE, huh?

The people of Aruba are amongst the kindest I've ever met. I always remember being amazed when I returned to the Divi on my second trip to the island that many of the staff remembered us and welcomed us with a hug. I always feel like I've come home to old and dear friends.
    Last edited by Pegmeister; 04-14-2011 at 07:59 PM.