Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Smile Question about Donations

I was fortunate enough to live in Aruba for 3 mths last year and got to know a lot of families in the neighborhood that I stayed in. Many of these families have multiple children, and are always in need of extra clothes and shoes and the like. All of my friends have young children and with all the seasonal clothes on sale I have been able to fill up an entire bag full of babies & kids clothes, toothbrushes, candy, toys and other things kids would need and enjoy. My question is how would I declare that at customs. Im going to Aruba next week and I am unsure. There is a 100awg gift maximum that you can bring into Aruba without being taxed. Most of this stuff was donated by people who know me and how much I loved Aruba, or bought on sale at ridiculously slashed prices so I dont want to pay taxes on its retail value. All the stuff together is definitely over 60awg of stuff. Can someone lead me in the right direction.......Thanks very much !!

Are you bringing them in suitcases? I really don't think anyone will question you. We bring in things for our homes. The customs officer said you are allowed $250 per person. Don't know if a gift is different.

Aruba since 1979
    i have been looking (googling) and what you have listed 100 florins is what i have read as well.

is there a difference between donations and gifts?

we have brought a few things in our luggage for aruban friends.
    some per request and some as gifts.
    never were we asked anything about what was in our luggage.

never dawned on me we were breaking any law.
    ( fancy schmancy texas instrument calculator, ipod, jeans, back to school supplies and candy)

i am very interested in hearing others thoughts and experiences.

my first inclination to you is to say, just go and bring the gifts and say nothing.
    but, now knowing there are regulations to "gifts" i am not so inclined.

Thank you very much for your quick responses. Being curious I looked it up and thats where I found 100 per passenger for importation of gifts. I am bringing the items in suitcases. But I have a lot of stuff!!!! Most of my luggage is filled with the kids clothes and I'm not even traveling with children!!! So I just didnt want to seem ignorant at customs. Thanks again for your advice. I will post when I arrive. I will be there for 3 glorious weeks!

I would just bring it in my suitcase. I just brought a suitcase of new baby clothes for a friend. The tags were still on them. I have only once been stopped and had to pay for an all-in-one computer which was too big to put in a suitcase and was still in the box. I told them a price which was less than I paid and paid the duty. I am sure that they are mainly looking for electronics and over the limit liquer. If you are stopped, I would definitely tell them that they are items for charity.
    Good luck,
    Stella

Would it not be better to just ship a box over before you get there?

Aruba since 1979

re: shipping

well there is a shipping fee
    AND
    then wouldn't the recipient would have to pay duty?

Quote Originally Posted by ladder4 View Post
    Would it not be better to just ship a box over before you get there?

Andrea, your right there would be a shipping fee, I,m wondering if as a donation if it,s possible to have the fee waved? Then again it might take a lot longer to get there.