Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Quick Question!

Quick Question!

Well the countdown is on, 22 days to go! I just had a question about mosquitos... Are they a prevalent little pest on the Island? Just looking for some info to see if we should be overloading on the mosquito repellant before we come down.

Aruba since 1979
    prevalent....sometimes
    pest...YES

i would bring a can of OFF with you.
    it is rainy season and with the occasional quick showers will bring puddles and standing water and that = mosquitos.

there are sometimes other nasty little flying bugs sometimes early in the mornings and at sunset...the off with deet helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennigreen View Post
    Well the countdown is on, 22 days to go! I just had a question about mosquitos... Are they a prevalent little pest on the Island? Just looking for some info to see if we should be overloading on the mosquito repellant before we come down.

Wonderful, thank you Andrea J!

We were contemplating bringing some citronella candles for the patio of the house we rented - I think we will!

We brought bug spray with deet too. Glad we did, a couple mornings little black flies were biting. One person we saw had quite a reaction to those buggers. Just bring with you to the beach, just in case.
    Sean and Susan

We like the Bullfrog mosquito coast sunblock...kills two birds with one stone. We haven't had a problem with mosquitos but but this year around sunset on the beach there were some kind of bugs biting pretty bad. We ended up leaving the beach, I still don't know what they were. We never had a problem during the day though.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We like the Bullfrog mosquito coast sunblock...kills two birds with one stone. We haven't had a problem with mosquitos but but this year around sunset on the beach there were some kind of bugs biting pretty bad. We ended up leaving the beach, I still don't know what they were. We never had a problem during the day though.
    A doctor on the island told us they're called, "noseeums" and some people have really nasty reactions to their bites but apparently you can build up a tolerance to them over time.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratopogonidae
    Last edited by act1966; 01-04-2015 at 08:36 AM.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    We have never had a problem with mosquitos except on the few days the wind did not blow. If you go to Renaissance Island and do the nature walk, you will need deet. That area is like being in the everglades.

Since you are leaving soon, I would bring repellent. There has been a fair amount of rain on the island (mostly over night). We ate outdoors for every meal but one from 12/19 - 1/2 and there were mosquitoes and as others have stated, flies present. NOTHING to ruin a meal, but just enough so you know they were there.

Interesting enough there were also a lot of bees around. Away from the resorts in the Cunucu, if you were near a bunch of flowers you could hear the buzzing around you. Happened to me at both the Balashi Ruins as well as Colorado Point.

If you were not going during rainy season I would just remind you of "Murphy's Law", bring it as insurance so you won't need it.

Are the bugs bad in April? We will be going the 1st week in April. Is April a rainy month in Aruba?

Quote Originally Posted by JPKeel View Post
    Are the bugs bad in April? We will be going the 1st week in April. Is April a rainy month in Aruba?
    No and no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast