Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Post reen & Do Good in Aruba With Bevy of Volunteer Vacations

I found this info below-Anyone know how to get involved and volunteer
    I'd like to volunteer at least one day while on the island in March. Any ifo or contacts would be great

It's Easier Than Ever to Be Green & Do Good in Aruba With Bevy of Volunteer Vacations

Forget Just Getting A Tan, How About Lending a Hand As Voluntourism Booms in Aruba & Travelers Can Savor Paradise, With a Purpose

Do-good news for those looking to take a humanitarian hiatus: voluntourism is the fastest growing segment of the global travel industry according to The World Bank. In response, Aruba wants to offer visitors the opportunity to vacation with a purpose and make the island where happiness lives even a little happier with a bevy of volunteer options designed for diverse jetsetters from the eco-minded to animal-enthusiasts. There is so much beyond Aruba's beautiful beaches, clear blue skies and near-perfect weather that will keep voluntourists feeling fulfilled throughout their island adventure from underwater ocean cleanups to doling out TLC at a donkey sanctuary.

Below are some of the opportunities available for visitors looking to include a little do-gooding in their Caribbean getaway:

Annual Aruba Reef Care Project
    This annual clean-up of the island's beaches ensures that they remain healthy and pristine. It is the island's largest volunteer environmental initiative and attracts locals as well as volunteers from around the globe. About 800 participants snorkel, scuba dive or comb the beaches in an effort to give back to Aruba's beautiful natural environment.

Recycled Art Competition
    Each year, Aruba sponsors an unusual competition: using recycled materials from around the island to create beautiful, if unusual, works of art. Visitors to the island will no doubt want to visit the exhibits but they also have a chance to become a part of it by helping to set up and man the exhibits, thereby experiencing a rich element of island life and culture!

Sponsor-A-Mile Program
    The Eagle Beach Area Coalition for Aruba's Sustainable Tourism participates in the Sponsor-A-Mile Program, a monthly drive to keep the beaches of Aruba clean. Visitors can temporarily “adopt” a mile-long stretch of beach to clear of debris and garbage, ensuring that it remains safe for people and coastal animals. Participating resorts include the Divi Phoenix Beach Resort, Amsterdam Manor, La Cabana Resort, Costa Linda Beach Resort, Bucuti Beach Resort & Tara Beach Suites, Manchebo Beach Resort, The Mill Resort, Aruba Marriott Resort, and Renaissance Aruba Resort.

“Salba Nos Buriconan” (Save Our Donkeys) Foundation
    For animal lovers, tourists can volunteer at Aruba's only donkey sanctuary. Although they were once Aruba's main mode of transportation, donkeys are now cared for at this haven, where volunteers can help feed them, teach visitors about the island's donkey population and help keep the donkeys safe and healthy by acting as veterinary assistants.
    Last edited by monewcamp; 12-30-2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Green & Do Good in Aruba....

Aruba since 1979
    i will do some looking once i get there next week.

i know the nokill animal shelter and the animal rights aruba are always looking for volunteers

i will get you some info.

andrea

Aruba since 1979

great, thanks
    I did pack a bunch of items for the animal shelter when we went to Antigua
    not sure if I want to chance extra luggage weight

Here is the info on the animal orgs.

Animal Shelter:
    - Go to the airport and make a left at the light
    - Go to the Texaco station and make a right (right before the station) - sign there
    - Go past Arubus and immediately after that make a right
    on that road
    - Take the road to the end and continue even tho it's
    dirt and it's on your right.

It's only open from 8(or 9) to 12.
    Phone: 583 1623

ARA
    - In Sunplaza right by where you would turn to get to Lings Supermarket.
    Their office is at the very end walking towards the resturant that is facing
    the main road.

If they are not there - there are directions to go up to the 3rd or 4th floor
    to an office that can help you.

Hours = ???

http://aruba.com/whattodo/dogoodfeelgood.php
    "It's Easier Than Ever to Be Green & Do Good in Aruba With Bevy of Volunteer Vacations"

Thanks Arubalisa
    that where I got the idea and wasn't sure who to contact to volunteer or to get more info on helping while in Aurba