Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Refinery starting up again

"Refinery starting up again
    November 2, 2009, 07:40 (GMT -04:00)
    http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_64597.php

SAN NICOLAS - The Refinery at San Nicolas will become partially operational again. In this, owner and operator Valero potential buyer wants Petro China to observe the refinery's operation and its status. The starting up of facilities will take approximately three weeks.

The definite decision on Whether the Chinese state-owned oil company will take over the refinery will be made after the observation. Meanwhile, Valero is looking for contract workers to operate the relevant partial facilities.

It was only last week, when persistent rumors had circulated that Valero and Petro China had agreed on the sale. Representatives of Petro China had visited Premier Mike Eman last Thursday. He had indicated that the number of Chinese employees, which required Petro China "was less than anticipated. He had no indication on the Chinese wishes regarding tax arrangements.

Former Prime Minister Nelson Oduber (MEP) was announced not so long ago that The negotiations with Petro China have foundered, as the Chinese company had requested the employment of a substantial number of their own workers. In addition, Petro China had supposedly demanded the same tax advantages and exemptions environment, which Coastal as Valero's predecessor had enjoyed at the time."

Aruba since 1979
    [

i bet there are huge sighs of relief there! and of course many fingers crossed![/B]

Aruba since 1979
    OMGosh everyone!!!! This refinery trial-like reopening is a BIG thing. I am shocked that there has been no chatter on this in this thread.

I have been following the Refinery story.
    This to me is just another talk with possible buyers. I wonder if it does go through how many Chinese will actually be brought in to take jobs away from the Arubans. They will be paid a lot less.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Petro China...

... not the best suitor.

The island will forever be changed should this come to pass.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Aruba since 1979
    i agree they are not the best suitor

that being said, if the refinery is sold to china petro and the refinery is up and running it will bring "some" jobs to the island.

with those jobs MAYBE some local folks will be hired.
    the local economy will be better as the employees will need housing, food and entertainment.
    those employees will contribute to the local economy

NOT a good thing for the arubans who may lose their jobs to the folks that may be brought it.........BUT.........the place will be up and running instead of sitting and everyone suffering as a result.

some good may happen
    some may benefit
    certainly better than having the place sit idle as it is now.

My personal concern about Petrol China is the track record the Chinese have
    on environmental matters. Have a ton of other concerns as well...

When the refinery shut down(Dw was in oil business 26 yrs.) I've heard her talk a little about shut downs, (of course I don't know what she's talking about)?, but it seems the first thing she will ask was it a cold shut down

"Negotiations with PetroChina in United States
    30 Nov, 2009, 08:50 (GMT -04:00)

http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_65804.php

ORANJESTAD —Minister Mike de Meza (AVP) of Finances, Utilities, Communication and Energy will be leaving for New Jersey today – together with a few legal advisors – for negotiations with the oil company PetroChina at the their American office.

Premier Mike Eman (AVP) had announced the aforementioned this morning. “PetroChina had indicated that they had obtained sufficient play from Beijing to continue the negotiations. They would prefer to do so personally now. As they had already visited Aruba a few times, we wish to show our good will by visiting them at their office in the United States.” The negotiations will be held tomorrow.

The basic assumption of Aruba especially regards maintaining the permanent jobs at the refinery, and offering employment to contract workers as much as possible. Premier Eman acknowledges that nothing had changed with regard to the demands of PetroChina on tax and environmental-technical matters, since the former government had leaked correspondence between the company and Aruba. From this correspondence, it had appeared that PetroChina requested to operate under the same environmental regulation as Coastal some twenty years ago and not pay any tax. “Amongst others, we would like to fine-tune a thing or two with PetroChina regarding environmental matters” according to Premier Eman."

While it is an important part of the Aruban economy, I certainly hope they don't give them a free pass on the environmental issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast