Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: rental phones

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I agree with Andrea. I get my phone number a few days prior to leaving for Aruba. I then give it to my family & friends to use (emergency only) since I won't pay for incoming but they will. If you are not going to work in Aruba, just vacation, that list should be short. Verizon will stick it to you if you try to use their services while in Aruba...

We rented a phone from Aruba discount cell. It was dropped off at our lobby before we checked in, and upon checkout we left it back at the lobby again for the company to come retrieve it. Doesn't get easier than that! Once you reserve your phone online, they email you the cell number you will be assigned to. I gave everyone my number before I left for vacation and was always able to be reached. We traveled in a group and our friends that put international plans on their Verizon or AT&T phones did not get service in Aruba anyway, so save the aggravation and rent a phone. It is cheap!

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum.
    having that number for the cell rental pre-departure is certainly convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Lv1003 View Post
    We rented a phone from Aruba discount cell. It was dropped off at our lobby before we checked in, and upon checkout we left it back at the lobby again for the company to come retrieve it. Doesn't get easier than that! Once you reserve your phone online, they email you the cell number you will be assigned to. I gave everyone my number before I left for vacation and was always able to be reached. We traveled in a group and our friends that put international plans on their Verizon or AT&T phones did not get service in Aruba anyway, so save the aggravation and rent a phone. It is cheap!

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    we rent from aruba discount cell, too, and you're right, its so easy.........

Quote Originally Posted by Lv1003 View Post
    We traveled in a group and our friends that put international plans on their Verizon or AT&T phones did not get service in Aruba anyway, so save the aggravation and rent a phone. It is cheap!
    I am surprised. Our AT&T signal was better on Aruba than what we can get at home.

It is actually simple. unless you have a specific phone that does not abide by the following, then this is how it goes, A SIM has the number as a part of its' structure and the number can only exist on a SIM. I am choosing to not get into TDMA discussions because it will only muddy already murky waters.

What that means is that if you take a SIM card out of a phone an d put it on the table, then your phone number sits on the table. The phone itself is nothing more than a mobile platform to hold your applications etc. Any phone usage plans you have are tied to the number and not the physical phone - therefore - if you move the SIM to another mobile platform (rented or not) your plan stays in tact and you will be spending tons of money since you are using your original phone (number or SIM). When you rent, do so with ample time to allow you to inform that special group of folks that you just have to have screw up your vacation. If it is a family illness or some other more special communications, well then ........... your number is what you will have to use. Some people that rent do also keep their regular phone active and check in every so often to see what is up. So to answer you question,

NO

be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

We are renting from Fast Phone Aruba. Leaving in 13 days and already have my number - to only give out to my parents (who will be keeping our kids).

Mr. Charles Croes has been wonderful getting me all the information I need in order to get the phone once on the island. I highly recommend doing business with his company! Hopefully we will get to meet the famous Charles while there!
    Last edited by brph26; 08-28-2013 at 04:01 PM.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by M&M View Post
    I have read all the links regarding cell phones, sim cards, but one question you have not answered. If I rent a phone at the airport, can I program it to use my current phone #?. It will be quite inconvenient to call a bunch of businesses and people to let them know I, temporarily have a new phone #. I do not plan to bring my laptop as I came for a vacation, not to work.
    Any comments would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    M&M
    Another possibility would be if you rent a phone in Aruba (they are quite reasonable, incoming calls are free) and you leave a message on your answering machine that you are temporarily not available under that number but that you could be reached in case of an emergency in Aruba under the number XXX (providing your Aruba rental phone number).
    Just a thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12