Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    14

    Angry Rental Vandalization

    What an awful way to start our trip! After many trips to Aruba, including having having our wedding on Renaissance Island with 47 of closest friends and family, we decided to rent a car for the first time. We were staying the first 2 nights of our trip at the Renaissance and parked the car in the lot by the Marina. Less than 24 hours later we went to the car to find the back window smashed, console destroyed and the radio gone! Had to spend the afternoon waiting for the police and going back to the airport to return the car. We have to go back to airport to get the estimate of the damages and give them the police report (which is not in english). God knows how much this is going to cost me. I called my insurance company and MasterCard and will be eligible to file claims but I have a feeling they aren't going to be able to do anything with the police report. What a hassle! Seriously, what is the dumb thief going to do with crappy car radio? Do yourself a favor and dont bother getting a rental car. We survived the first 14 times we've been down to Aruba without one. This experience has really soured our opinions about Aruba. We have come here because we felt safe and welcome but not anymore. If anyone has advice of filing insurance claims with foreign car rentals please send me a private message.

  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,908
    someone should be able to translate the report into ENGLISH.
    sorry to hear of the nightmare of the vandalism.
    please keep us posted on the progress of the insurance, the police report and the assistance or lack thereof from the car rental place.

    hope the rest of your stay becomes much better.

  3. #3
    Senior Member fattypatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    moomba, stellaris casino, baby beach,
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by alorberb View Post
    What an awful way to start our trip! After many trips to Aruba, including having having our wedding on Renaissance Island with 47 of closest friends and family, we decided to rent a car for the first time. We were staying the first 2 nights of our trip at the Renaissance and parked the car in the lot by the Marina. Less than 24 hours later we went to the car to find the back window smashed, console destroyed and the radio gone! Had to spend the afternoon waiting for the police and going back to the airport to return the car. We have to go back to airport to get the estimate of the damages and give them the police report (which is not in english). God knows how much this is going to cost me. I called my insurance company and MasterCard and will be eligible to file claims but I have a feeling they aren't going to be able to do anything with the police report. What a hassle! Seriously, what is the dumb thief going to do with crappy car radio? Do yourself a favor and dont bother getting a rental car. We survived the first 14 times we've been down to Aruba without one. This experience has really soured our opinions about Aruba. We have come here because we felt safe and welcome but not anymore. If anyone has advice of filing insurance claims with foreign car rentals please send me a private message.
    that's horrible. hope the best!

  4. #4
    Senior Member tangy003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Palm Beach
    Age
    57
    Posts
    290
    Please don't let one rotten apple sour your opinion of a great place.Stuff happens.It can and will happen ANYWHERE.Crime,drugs,etc are everywhere.Yes unfortunately even in Aruba.Try to Enjoy the rest of your trip.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Any beach, party, bar or Casino!!!!!!
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by tangy003 View Post
    Please don't let one rotten apple sour your opinion of a great place.Stuff happens.It can and will happen ANYWHERE.Crime,drugs,etc are everywhere.Yes unfortunately even in Aruba.Try to Enjoy the rest of your trip.
    I second that. One unfortunate incident cant wipe out all the good times you have had.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    60
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by alorberb View Post
    What an awful way to start our trip! After many trips to Aruba, including having having our wedding on Renaissance Island with 47 of closest friends and family, we decided to rent a car for the first time. We were staying the first 2 nights of our trip at the Renaissance and parked the car in the lot by the Marina. Less than 24 hours later we went to the car to find the back window smashed, console destroyed and the radio gone! Had to spend the afternoon waiting for the police and going back to the airport to return the car. We have to go back to airport to get the estimate of the damages and give them the police report (which is not in english). God knows how much this is going to cost me. I called my insurance company and MasterCard and will be eligible to file claims but I have a feeling they aren't going to be able to do anything with the police report. What a hassle! Seriously, what is the dumb thief going to do with crappy car radio? Do yourself a favor and dont bother getting a rental car. We survived the first 14 times we've been down to Aruba without one. This experience has really soured our opinions about Aruba. We have come here because we felt safe and welcome but not anymore. If anyone has advice of filing insurance claims with foreign car rentals please send me a private message.
    sorry to hear this happened...I think our expectations of this enchanting Island are high...I know mine our...but it is the real world..( on a small scale )...and behind those blue skies...and trade winds...is a major drug problem..that drives these unfortunate incidents...
    Hopefully this will work out for you. I know..I was in that same parking lot about 3 weeks ago...and a dumpy car drove by me..as I walked...and a man was in the passenger seat lighting a drug pipe...It brings you back to the real world fast.

  7. #7
    Senior Member lizzardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    961
    I'm sure you can ask the police for a write up in English. I wouldn't see that
    being much of a problem for them.

    There is an AMEX program that has been recommended in past posts
    that is not expensive and covers foreign rentals.

    I would make sure that you monitor your credit card to make sure
    the rental car company does not try to charge anything for damages
    on your card until you have something from your CC insurance
    department. I have heard that the companies do try this - so
    please be aware of this in advance. You might put a 'fraud'
    alert on your card w/ your contact info in Aruba so if there
    are any attempts to put unauthorized charges on your cards,
    they can't do it.

    I would also advise you to tell the rental company that you
    will post of your experience with them in this matter on the BB
    so they know that how this matter is handled might directly
    affect their reputation.

    So sorry to hear this happened. Looking on these boards, it does
    happen but not that often. Try to enjoy your stay here and
    just be take some 'precautions'.

  8. #8
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,908

    Thumbs up

    you go girl excellent posting

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzardo View Post
    I'm sure you can ask the police for a write up in English. I wouldn't see that
    being much of a problem for them.

    There is an AMEX program that has been recommended in past posts
    that is not expensive and covers foreign rentals.

    I would make sure that you monitor your credit card to make sure
    the rental car company does not try to charge anything for damages
    on your card until you have something from your CC insurance
    department. I have heard that the companies do try this - so
    please be aware of this in advance. You might put a 'fraud'
    alert on your card w/ your contact info in Aruba so if there
    are any attempts to put unauthorized charges on your cards,
    they can't do it.

    I would also advise you to tell the rental company that you
    will post of your experience with them in this matter on the BB
    so they know that how this matter is handled might directly
    affect their reputation.

    So sorry to hear this happened. Looking on these boards, it does
    happen but not that often. Try to enjoy your stay here and
    just be take some 'precautions'.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5

    Rental car

    I would not let this ruin your vacation, I was staying at the Surf Club 2 yr's ago and when we went to park our rental car there were no spots except one that had a orange road cone blocking it, We moved the cone and parked there for the night and the next morning the whole driver's door was Kicked in.
    We filed a police report(LOL). But later found out it was a tourist from Boston saving the spot. I have been coming to Aruba a long time and I find the people are very polite and kind. It's the Angry Rude tourist and non-arubians you should worry about. That said dont let the actions of a few ruin your trip, If you do they win.

    enjoy you trip.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,931
    Quote Originally Posted by toxintwin View Post
    I would not let this ruin your vacation, I was staying at the Surf Club 2 yr's ago and when we went to park our rental car there were no spots except one that had a orange road cone blocking it, We moved the cone and parked there for the night and the next morning the whole driver's door was Kicked in.
    We filed a police report(LOL). But later found out it was a tourist from Boston saving the spot. I have been coming to Aruba a long time and I find the people are very polite and kind. It's the Angry Rude tourist and non-arubians you should worry about. That said dont let the actions of a few ruin your trip, If you do they win.

    enjoy you trip.
    How did you find out that it was a tourist?? What happened after that?
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO