Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Ritz Carlton Protest pictures

There was a good turnout last night!

Here are the pictures

http://bb.visitaruba.com/members/liz.../ritz-protest/

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for posting!!!

Good pics.So I'm guessing the majority does not want another hotel built on the island?I'm all for keeping the island as pristine as possible.Think about it.....if the development keeps up,it's going to look like Manhattan in a few years.Then who would want to come there?

I realize too that hotels bring jobs,better for the economy and the people,but when is enough,enough?

The worst thing is that it is not even better for our island / economy. Our roads are packed. Schools are full. We have no more people to work in the hotels, which means we have to import a bunch of people again from neighbouring countries to work. That in turn impact our unique culture. The high paid jobs (a handfull) remain for the Ritz and the profit goes outside our country.

If you have the money mr Ritz, and we know you have it seeing you boat here in front of our island, please go to another island, or buy a existing hotel with terrain and use that.

The people that really want this is a handfull that already have enough to live by.

Robbert -
    It's Mr Marriott who owns the Ritz!

BTW - How many places does the Marriott have on the island already?

3 at palm beach
    2 (the 2 rens in town)

Is that it? They have so many 'brands' it's hard to follow.

I have already stated my opinion on this...keep the beach for the locals, quit building huge monstrosities....I liked the island when it was "quaint" and would like to see it kept that way to a degree...
    Robbert has a point, if you have to go outside of the Aruban people to gets jobs, then you are not helping them in the long run, and if the money goes out of the country then it does not help the country either....kind of a double edged sword....building it would bring jobs, but keeping it running would require foreign labor....
    and I guess 5 hotels on the island owned by Marriott is enough....
    I end my rambling.....and my 2cents...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Robbert View Post
    ... or buy a existing hotel with terrain and use that.

Robbert,

This would have been the best thing to do for all around.

The Gov't should have made sure that "other" group that planned to build next to the cargo ship area was out of the picture and put the Ritz there.

It is such an eyesore that old hotel there just rotting away!

Then the Gov't could get going and move the cargo area as planned.
    Last edited by arubanut; 04-22-2010 at 01:15 AM.

Well the new gov't got screwed as the old gov't signed it over the last day they were in power.

The gov't does have a 'over building' / 'halt' policy that is old that has been
    ignored in the past. The new gov't campaigned on enforcing this policy.
    They have stated that if there are any new hotels they must be boutique hotels.
    Do not have the full definition of that but I think it is a small hotel that might be locally run.

"Boutique hotels in resort destinations
    Boutique hotels in resort destinations are exotic, small, and intimate. These boutique hotels give their guests a chance to explore the local feel without sacrificing luxury. Although location is just as important in resort destinations as it is in city destinations, the word "trendy" has a different designation in this matter; if location should be central in the case of city boutique hotels, trendy resort boutique hotels are generally well-hidden, tucked away in deserted corners of the islands or the mountains. The more difficult it is to reach the destination by means of common transportation, the more fashionable the location is considered. Successful boutique resort hotels unite traditional architecture with the comfort and luxury of modernism, without losing the personality of the local community. Each boutique hotel must develop its own recognizable flavor, with sumptuousness and excellence as the only similarities among boutique resort hotels. In boutique resort destinations, service is generally more important than it is in boutique city destinations. Exotic amenities take the role of technology in city destinations; in fact, boutique resort hotels actually promote the non-existence of electronics and communication devices in guestrooms as a competitive advantage. Traditional spas, rose petal baths, private individual plunge pools, honeymoon packages, and art and painting sessions are just a few examples of boutique amenities offered in resort destinations."

The boutique hotel concept sounds wonderful.
    Very much like renting a house without all the added stuff that goes along with that. Sounds like something my Lady and I might look at were it to actually happen.
    And it certainly beats the heck out of a large corporate monstrosity.... ahem.

How many more weeks 'til we're back in paradise...?

I'd rather not think about it.

Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com