Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    http://www.aruba.com/news/hotels/the-ritz-carlton-hotel-company-llc-adds-exclusive-resort-project-in-aruba/
    The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C. Adds Exclusive Resort Project in Aruba

Aruba since 1979
    i am surprised that this topic has not generated a lot more conversation.
    andrea

I don't think a lot of people know what this entails for the island. A couple of people (including you) keep saying there are a lot of downsides of the the Ritz, but most people just see another hotel.

I know that stretch of beach and I know it is a place that a lot of locals hang out. But other than taking away from them and the windsufers, what are the downsides?

Aruba since 1979
    downsides that i can think of off the top of my hand

impact on the wind surfers
    impact on traffic and congestion at palm beach area
    flooding and drainage
    using that area, when the bushiri is sitting 3 miles away....sitting and rotting.
    impact on the overbuilding on the island.

upside
    nice to have a 5 star property
    ritz a great name
    at least 750 jobs employing the local folks

i am on the fence re: this ritz decision.
    i would LOVE to see more employment on the island.
    i would love to see this place go in at the old Bushiri site.

again, my opinions and my opinions do not represent the ATA.

Quote Originally Posted by fry120 View Post
    I don't think a lot of people know what this entails for the island. A couple of people (including you) keep saying there are a lot of downsides of the the Ritz, but most people just see another hotel.

I know that stretch of beach and I know it is a place that a lot of locals hang out. But other than taking away from them and the windsufers, what are the downsides?

In many ways, I wish Aruba was still the quaint quiet island it was 25 years ago my husband and I fell in love with on our honeymoon. The undeveloped property on the island is so limited that any change makes a tremendous impact, and I have some of the same feelings of sadness as others to see another piece of it go. However, I think it was inevitable that at some point a hotel was going to be built on the property next to the Marriott, and I'd prefer it to be the Ritz with its reputation and beautiful properties. In the end, I think it's could end up being the best outcome given the situation, but my biggest concern is for the people of Aruba and how they feel about this turn of events.

Now, if we could just turn the clock back 25+ years, I'd be thrilled - for both myself and Aruba...
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Quote Originally Posted by fry120 View Post

wow...can not believe you said that....downside ??? really ??

have u ever been up there to watch those windsurfers ???? and why would it be okay to take away a local hang-out ? just to put up another hotel that wont be full to capacity ???? another monstrosity like the riu to take away the beautiful view of the beach ????

okay, have to stop now or will get into serious trouble with moderators....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Aruba since 1979
    love the spirited discussion.

i did ask for it.

all opinions count.

and staying focused on the RITZ's announcement and our perceived pros and cons is our topic :-)

All I have to say is that Marriott will now have to maintain the Ocean and the beaches to keep the kind of customers that the Ritz attracts.People that stay at the Marriott properties know what I'm talking about.Just cant see how they are going to put a 325 room Hotel on that property.

As appealing as a new hotel on the island may be, considering the way things have been going of late, what with 9/11 STILL keeping people in the shadows, I have to wonder how good an idea it would be to build another (possibly) white elephant on the island. The Riu's a fine and lovely place (I guess) but I would have to agree that the view of the beach has been, well, limited by the behemoth that is that building.
    Now, could someone refresh my memory regarding the moratorium that the Aruban gov't laid out regarding the height of buildings, and could we remember why? I think it had something to do with the wonderful vistas and views not being decimated by the big bucks, or shall I say the big buildings.
    I understand the idea of using the Bushiri property, but for what that idea is worth, the Ritz people likely don't want to subject their wonderful guests to watching the container storage area, shipping lanes and the docks.... not too chi-chi. Add to that the fact that there is no beach by the Bushiri (yes, I do know that for a fact, I walk it most mornings when in Aruba). Also, the beach can't feasibly be extended because that would interfere with the ships and shipping...

And so, it comes back to the low level building question. Why build a high-rise in the low-rise area?

Funny, but somehow this has turned into what the Canadian politicos call a NIMBY situation.... Not In My BackYard, and we don't even live there.
    Interesting how passionate people become over things they have no control over...
    I hope this works out for everyone involved.
    Last edited by Mr. Ratt; 02-25-2010 at 03:32 PM.
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

I beg to differ that this is a 'not in my backyard' issue. It's an
    issue of overbuilding and does Aruba really need another hotel.
    Someone just asked what changes have been made since
    2005 - it's been incredible. The high-rise strip looks like
    Cancun. No local charm. Just build and 'they will come'.

There are cultural issues like the windsurfers which is one
    of the most beloved sport in Aruba. There is a championship
    competition right at that spot that has international involvement.

The endangered turtles nest there. Turtles come back to the
    same spot year after year. So less turtles.

The impact on drainage, the salinas and ecology is immense.

All the eco groups including Green peace are against this.

So what is the downside? My question is what is the upside?

Answer to my question is 'nothing '. The Marriott
    which has 5 other hotels here get another hotel. They got it
    via a series of payolas. Jobs for the locals?
    Not that great paying and not a real chance to climb the corporate
    ladder.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast