Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i would love to see this place go in at the old Bushiri site.
    The Palm Beach area has reached a "critical mass" of sorts. That area is far more enticing for customers and developers than the old Bushiri site. As much as I enjoy Aruba, the way that the Palm Beach area has been "americanized" has really turned me off.

Please don't mistake my statement of Not in my back yard for agreement with the idea, that is the furthest thing from the truth.
    In fact, the idea of another high rise tends to get me a little more than peeved. I too remember the concept of "no more high rises" and I tend to wonder what happened to the "rules" that were laid out in this regard. (Big money, perhaps?)
    Not that anyone has asked me, but I personally think the Riu is an eyesore. Fitting in with the island environment? Not really.

Sadly it would seem that the first thing that gets tossed into the waves is the concern of environmental impact, as in, as mentioned, the turtles, the sports and activities that are so integral to the island, just the whole "vibe" of the place...

Just how much development can one lovely little island withstand?

I hope they bring the upwards climb to an end soon. I still like looking up and seeing the sky, moreso than high rise towers.

And please bear in mind, this is only my opinion. I'm not a long-timer like some here, this is only my tenth year visiting paradise, but I have seen a lot of development in that time.
    And it's been both good and bad. It's up to the Aruban people to find that comfortable sense of balance within it all.
    Last edited by Mr. Ratt; 02-25-2010 at 03:31 PM.
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Would be nice if they could move where the containers are located to other side of island and put a nice hotel there... I know there had been talk about it at one point. Or start building up a little by eagle beach...palm is overly congested now.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

"Would be nice if they could move where the containers are located to other side of island"...

True enough, however the shipping lanes are what they are and I'm sure the ocean currents have something to do with their placement. Interesting idea though...

Not that I spend a lot of time, or any for that fact, looking at the containers, I'm sort of glad that the development hasn't spread south of the Tamarijn. I do agree, it would be nice to see the property of the old Bushiri either levelled or cleaned up to some degree, however, the little bit of "privacy" in that area really adds to the charm of the place.
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Actually there is a master plan for downtown that involves moving
    the container area to down where web is. Part of the deal
    (that kinda fell thru) when they tried to sell the place
    was removing that area.

Another part of that piece of land is that is where the
    local fishermen launch their boats. The marriott
    completely 'messed up' the orig. fisherman's piers
    on the one side of their property. They don't have
    a good track record.

The ecology on this island is fragile. Corporations
    think of it as a thorn and tend to pay their way
    through any concern.

Aruba since 1979
    a very wise and articulate man that many of us really like posted this on his facebook wall
    Question to many children in the future: How do you describe an island?
    Answer : A body of land surrounded by water
    Question to children of Aruba in the future: How do you describe an island?
    Answer: A body of land surrounded by Marriott

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    a very wise and articulate man that many of us really like posted this on his facebook wall
    Question to many children in the future: How do you describe an island?
    Answer : A body of land surrounded by water
    Question to children of Aruba in the future: How do you describe an island?
    Answer: A body of land surrounded by Marriott

A very wise moderator shared it with us...and how true it is...
    LOL, hugs, cindy

I m not one to to complain on this forum,BUT,why is it that many that seem to be knocking Marriott are owners of there timeshare property's? In my opinion Marriott supports the Island and has created plenty of jobs for the Aruba people.I understand about that piece of property but will it have that much effect on there economy.Do I think we need another Hotel ,No,but a Ritz on the island will help Aruba economy in the long run.

Ritz will do nothing for the island except to disrupt a delicate eco-system
    and put more money into an international corporations pockets.

Consider this article (from today's amigoe in dutch):

"No study socio-economic impact Ritz-Carlton"
    February 23, 2010, 13:25 (GMT -04:00)

Email this article
    Print this article

ORANGE CITY - Hotelco, developer of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, has no known socio-economic impact study submitted by the Aruban government. To that end the company was required in the letter of intent together with the Aruban government had signed in June 2008.

by our reporter
    Ariën Rasmijn

According to Harry Bareño, Acting Director Department of Economic Affairs and Industry (Dezi) has his department since the letter of intent in 2008 heard anything formally from the project. Normally receives Dezi all major projects such report of the Minister, which in turn opinion. "I was thinking it had died a quiet death until I suddenly heard the weather was." Eventually, the lease agreement just before the end of the period of the previous government cabinet signed.

Bazarian
    In the study, on behalf Hotelco should be conducted by a renowned research firm, the effect of the construction of the Ritz-Carlton hotel on a range of socio economic factors, employment and income to cultural factors for the local population, should be included.
    In 2003, the first attempt at a Ritz-Carlton hotel to be built behind Fisherman's Hut, at Hadicurari. Developer Bazarian International Financial Associates in June 2004 received an option on the site. Even when it was indicated that an impact statement should be made. This was by KPMG on behalf Bazarian submitted in July 2005. Dezi came with a favorable opinion, but indicated that the impact report, despite the "reasonable" view of socio-economic factors, failed to consider other projects on the island.

Hotelco
    The tender Bazarian but bounced off. The return would not have been enough and the developer wanted a tax holiday, but was refused. After the departure of Bazarian, the government in 2007 to an open tender. Sat Bareño themselves in this technique evaluation, along with Myrna Jansen, then director of Aruba Tourism Authority (ATA), Eric Vrolijk Service Public Works (DOW), Gerald Tsu, Head of Policy at Department of Infrastructure and Planning (DIP) and Mito Martes, representative of Minister Marisol Lopez-Tromp (MEP) for Infrastructure. The Venezuelan Hotelco of Walter Stipa and Pedro Vera, was the best candidate from the bus and got the option on the site. "It appears they have virtually the same outline as Bazarian. Other candidates also complained about unfair competition, therefore, "says Bareño. In 2008, then a letter of intent, setting out the requirements for training of local staff and work permits for their own managers and part of the hotel, and the obligation to submit a socio-economic impact statement, signed by Stipa, Vera and Prime Minister Nelson Oduber. Bareño: "That was the last we have heard of it." The Acting Director also questions why almost the same project after bouncing once, was now proceed. "It could be that the costs are less, or that the components of the hotel are cheaper this time, or that a different arrangement is made."

There is much more to this story that I just don't understand.Whatever happens I just hope its in the best interest of all.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast