Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Rock stacking by Natural Bridge

Rock stacking by Natural Bridge

Today we visited the Natural Bridge and there was a Dutch woman purposefully and aggressively knocking over all the rock stacks. My husband and I stood there flabbergasted. An Aruban gentleman noticed and ran over there and they exchanged heated words. The man she was with came over and he stood up for her but she stopped doing it. We asked the Aruban man what she said and he said she had no reason for it. He told her it was not her country and she had no right to do it. He was very offended. I felt very bad for him. I know there have been differing stories about why they build them but it was certainly sensitive to him personally.
    Last edited by AhhAruba; 12-18-2016 at 06:22 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    most of the arubans are offended by the rock stacking.

aside from watching an argument, are you having a ball? hope so!

Aruba since 1979
    also too,
    have you seen this thread? Stacking stones

There is order in the apparent randomness of Earth's evolving landscap. Just my opinion, but I find the rock stacking as ugly as wind farms. Even the collapsed natural bridge still looks cool

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    They are wishing stones and for good luck, we mark our trails with them. Its Aruba, good for the Aruban guy. ARUBA ROCKS!

I wouldn't advise picking up rocks in the Nat Park (especially during cooler parts of the year, morning, or evening), a small rattlesnake could have one wishing they didn't.

Aruba since 1979
    the small ones have deadly venom too!
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    I wouldn't advise picking up rocks in the Nat Park (especially during cooler parts of the year, morning, or evening), a small rattlesnake could have one wishing they didn't.

They are wishing stones and for good luck
    Well, perhaps in your eyes, yes they may be.
    They're an eyesore and inconvenience to the many people that really wouldn't mind getting across the black lava rock to ENJOY the idea of being closer to the raging waters.
    Yeah, have fun, enjoy your time in paradise, but stop perpetuating myths that quite frankly, aren't true.

They're not good luck stacks, they're tiny imitations of the Inuit Inukshuk. Markers to tell others "the way..."

The stone stacking phenomenon has only really happened over the last 10-15 years.
    My first trip to Aruba in 2001, there were MAYBE 10 stacks of stones.
    The mythology got cranked up by tour guides and other tourists and now, we have a somewhat "littered" landscape.

At least it's natural substance being used....
    Last edited by Mr. Ratt; 12-19-2016 at 11:10 AM.
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

And, from a recent Facebook posting....
    And, keep in mind, not the words of a tourist, the words of a native of the island.... the people that actually SHOULD have a say in how we treat their environment.

Some time ago, someone figured that stacking rocks would be a good idea. They said it would help with making whatever wish you had come true (debatable) and some even said it was a local old fisherman's tradition (definitely not true).

Tour operators got in on it and started stopping at a site near the old gold mill ruin in Bushiribana that some people now call Rock Wish Garden. Onto itself, the practice of stacking some rocks is harmless and arguably a fun thing to do. But over the years, Rock Wish Garden has now turned into what can only be described as a vast OCD graveyard, with so many rock stacks around that you almost can't see the actual landscape anymore. The stacks are not only at the site but all around it, spoiling views and actually diminishing our tourism product.

Moreover, the rock stacks are not only an eyesoar, they're actually bad for the environment because they promote erosion by stunting plant growth. It's like that bridge in Paris, where couples would hang so many padlocks as a representation of their love that it became a hazard and they had to be removed. It's cute at first, until everybody starts doing it and it becomes a problem. So let's come together and do something about it (at least until the authorities do or place just fills up again with stacks and we have to clean it up once more).

On Sunday November 20th, we hit the north coast and tear down as many stacks as we can. Bring your kids, your family and friends, rakes, shovels, some good kicking shoes and cold drinks. We promise it will be fun (and maybe even a little therapeutic). We gather at the gold mill ruin at 6am and move from there. Who's in?
    Mr. Ratt

This isn't what Aruba looked like when I first got there....

"If it ain't natural, it shouldn't be there...."

And, yes, the stones are natural, their positioning definitely isn't.

Attachment 5732
    Mr. Ratt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast