Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By AUA1989

Thread: Rona Coster's thoughts on the old non used container area?

Aruba since 1979

Rona Coster's thoughts on the old non used container area?

Here are Rona's thoughts (from her column)
    What do you think?

WHAT SHALL WE DO WITH THE ORANJESTAD HARBOR.
    At the beginning of the year the islandís container harbor moved to Barcadera, and as a result, the large multi wheel trailers hauling those containers, which have been clogging Oranjestad for decades, now get loaded and off loaded away from the heart of town. We no longer have to wait for them while they get in and out of traffic at the entrance to the Oranjestad harbor. How do you spell relief? You spell it Barcadrahhhh.

SOÖ.. What do we do now with the enormous Aruba Ports Authority terrain?! They have been cleaning up poco-poco, demolishing warehouses, they even hosted a few concerts, but long term and in a perfect world what shall be done with the space??
    Do we build condos, shopping malls, restaurants and bars in the space cleared up along the waterside, leading into town? Do we clutter the urban layout with kiosks, and flea markets, street vendors and Dr. Coco coconut water stands? Yes? No?
    That is the question now facing Ing. Jossy Figaroa, the director of APA, and I am praying only for knowledge of the universeís will for Aruba, and hoping Figaroa will muster the power to carry that out.
    At a press conference Figaroa stated that no one company will be granted the rights to develop, and that he is seeking many partners, each developing a portion of the project. He encouraged Arubans to come up with ideas. He said that the investment money has to come from a bona fide source. He said he doesnít wish to compete with downtown merchants and revealed his wish list: Boutique hotels, Condos, high-end residences, a theme park, entertainment venues, maybe a financial center.
    I mentioned earlier a perfect world. If there is such a thing. What would I have done? I would build a park, a promenade, exercise trails, biking lanes, soccer fields, and skatepark, to improve the quality of life for people in Oranjestad. I would also build a super Concert Arena so that the music festival and their pesky cousins can stay off the beaches and entertainment may unfold in a contained, controlled environment, no stinky toilets on the beach, no empty beer cans, no cigarette butts, just pristine, clean sand, and the mess created by the festivals may be relegated to the special arena build in the old harbor.
    I can dream. Itís a free country, I can fantasize, and it doesnít cost you anything!

Park land and a city square. The last thing Oranjestad needs is another mall.
    Last edited by act1966; 08-31-2016 at 08:36 AM.

If I had a choice I would love to see something natural. I loved being able to drive past that area and see the ocean thru the fence. Maybe an open concert venue with a park like setting.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

It would be fantastic if they could emulate the waterfront in some Mediterranean cities - like Malaga or Cartagena, Spain. Beautiful boulevards with lush tropical plants and trees and clear views to the water from the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    If I had a choice I would love to see something natural. I loved being able to drive past that area and see the ocean thru the fence. Maybe an open concert venue with a park like setting.

I like Rona's suggestions. Wasn't there talk of developing an area for the cruise ship passengers?
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

TRIP 14 MARCH 5-28 2018
    OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL. EAGLE BEACH ARUBA.
    https://youtu.be/hfk7YBj3Z1k

NOW RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8.
    PLEASE NOTE. OUR UNIT CAN ONLY ACCOMMODATE TWO PEOPLE.
    PLEASE SEND US A PM PRIOR TO BOOKING AND WE'LL MAKE A REFERRAL DIRECTLY TO THE MANAGEMENT COMPANY FOR YOU.

Aruba since 1979
    I too would love to see a park and a venue for concerts.
    What about a Marine life aquarium/rehab and education center....kind of like Clearwater Marine rescue and aquarium.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    It would be fantastic if they could emulate the waterfront in some Mediterranean cities - like Malaga or Cartagena, Spain. Beautiful boulevards with lush tropical plants and trees and clear views to the water from the city.
    YES! and then we could incorporate
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    a Marine life aquarium/rehab and education center....kind of like Clearwater Marine rescue and aquarium.
    into a section in front of the concert venue where you may not be able to see the ocean anyway.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Absolutely! One of the "partners" can be the cruise lines. They can help create a beach area for cruise passengers. That would end the problems on Eagle and Palm when the ships dock and the beach area becomes overcrowded with tourists from the ships. A nice park area and concert venue are goods ideas as well.

I definitely like the park concert venue idea...would not like to see high rise condos or a big hotel obscuring the view now that they have cleaned out the shipping crates and such.
    lush trees, and plants...benches, maybe a small kiosk (really small) for snow cone/slushy type of drinks.......nothing big...need to see the water !!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME