Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: rona on "rock stacking"

I think of it more like development... The animals now have triplex opportunities with ocean views.

I long for the days when everybody obsessed over parking.

Two words: garbage dump. Now THAT'S a real problem.

Now that I've come to realize that oh-too-many of the return visitors have this incredible sense of entitlement, as in, "I've been coming all these years so I'll do as I wish"... and realizing that it's not restricted to any one group of people, may I insert this wonderful little piece of news.... not expecting it to make one iota of difference to those with more money than concern for the environment they claim to love.....

No More Rock Stacking

Recently the Aruba Hotel & Tourism Association announced that they discourage the act of rock stacking near the north coasts of the island.
    Rock stacking has become a popular activity among tourists, the area on the north coast of the island piled with rocks is called “Wishing Garden”.
    Many people think stacking rocks will make your wishes come true.
    However, this is not true, it’s just a myth started by a tour operator.

The rocks are used by crabs, insects, lizards and other small animals that are looking for shelter between the openings of the rocks. However, if the rocks are being are being removed and stacked on top of each other, the small animals won’t have a place to seek refuge when they need it.
    Every time you stack a pile of rocks, you’re taking away their natural habitat.

Please don’t stack any more rocks.

Rock Stacking Demolition Derby
    There’s a rock stacking demolition derby being held (April 30, 2017) on the north coast of the island. The goal is to knock down as much rocks as possible to reverse the situation and preserve Aruba’s nature.

People who supported the movement on Facebook, signed up as volunteers and are going to restore the damage.

Give the island and it's wildlife the same amount of respect you would expect a guest to give you in your home....

It's really just that simple.

And yes, it is that serious an issue, otherwise people wouldn't keep talking about it....
    just like your beloved car boots and the dump.

Last edited by Mr. Ratt; 05-01-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May, 2018, unless that lottery ticket hits.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Aruba since 1979
    maybe the prisoners in the jail there should get working to make "little rocks outta big rocks"
    then those little rocks could replenish the ones that are stacked

thread closed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12