Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Rona's words! (particular attention to no pedestrian cross walks)

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    As so many, I'm as well sad and shocked that this beautiful small road at Eagle beach will be destroyed and become part of Watty Vos Blvd.

This small road and Eagle beach was always one of my most favorite places to go, it's one of the few places which still has this "Caribbean Feel" to it, tranquil, serene and in harmony. Stunning views of the turquoise sea and the white sand. The famous Divi Dive Tree is located there. Picture-perfect! Why it was photographed so many times and shown in so many magazines.

A busy big street does just not fit into that picture! In addition, it will be dangerous for tourists and all pedestrians to cross that street which probably will be a four-lane street without the median.

I hope the Aruban government will rething their plans.

CK1
    Those plans are not exactly new. There was lots of talk a few years ago: "Green Corridor" and "Watty Vos Blvd".

I did a little research and found a very detailed article which was printed four years ago. It's on page one and two. At the end of the article is a link with a ton of info (plans, costs etc). I didn't like what I was reading there.

https://issuu.com/themorningnews/doc...nuary_18__2014

Today I took pics of the sign and the artists drawing. I have sent them to Andrea to see if she can get them onto the forum better than I can

I can post them too!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

CK1
    Here is some more info dated September 26, 2015. There is as well a video which shows in detail where the Watty Vos Blvd and the many roundabouts are planned. The presentation looks nice as they are showing green areas with trees, jogging and biking paths. However, I don't know what the present state is. A few days ago, there was this presentation which Rona attended. According to her, the median at J.E. Irausquin Blvd will be "cancelled" which, IMO makes no sense.

This article as well as "The Morning News" article mention "heavy container traffic" going directly to the hotels. I don't know which route they will be taking. But I'm concerned that some will go along Eagle Beaach. JMO.

I don't know if there is still time for an "Emergency Meeting" with the government to voice the worries and concerns regarding safety, to at least keep the median.

Construction Oranjestad by-pass to start in Q1 2016

The government has presented in detail the plans of the Oranjestad by-pass yesterday,
    also known as Watty Vos Boulevard.The Oranjestad by-pass masterplan has been
    discussed for over 30 years by different governments, but now has reached in the final
    phase to be executed. The by-pass will consist out of two over-passes, a 4 lane
    highway, 7 roundabouts, bike and jogging paths, and over 1500 plus trees will be planted
    alongside the highway.

Once the by-pass is completed, traffic going through downtown Oranjestad towards the
    hotel area, and from the hotel area towards San Nicolas will be reduced considerably. At
    present downtown Oranjestad is often congested with traffic that does need to be in
    Oranjestad specifically. People living in the eastern part of the island can now work at
    the hotel area without going through downtown Oranjestad, but will instead take the by-
    pass and head directly to their work. Tourists arriving at the airport will also take the
    by-pass and head to their hotels within 5 minutes. The same accounts for heavy
    container traffic from Barcadera, that will in the future take the by-pass to the hotel
    district where 70 percent of all containers in Aruba are destined.

Mota Engil won the bid to construct the by-pass. The project will be financed as PPP
    (Public Private Partnership), and finance of the project is expected to be ready by the
    end of 2015. Many international financial institutions have already approached the
    government to finance the plan. Watty Vos Boulevard is the second PPP project in Aruba.
    The Green Corridor presently under construction is the first PPP project in Aruba and the
    entire region.

The Oranjestad by-pass will be the 4th biggest project Aruba has ever seen. The Green
    Corridor a 4 lane highway between Oranjestad and San Nicolas is under construction, the
    expansion and renovation of the hospital is progressing nicely, and Barcadera harbor and
    Free Zone area are nearing completion. All these projects are expected to make Aruba ready
    to accommodate the economic growth of the next few decades. Construction of the Oranjestad
    by-pass will start in the first quarter of 2016.

Video impression of Oranjestad by-pass (Watty Vos Boulevard).

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=494693&page=7

Thanks JohnRona's words!   (particular attention to no pedestrian cross walks)-img_1123.jpgRona's words!   (particular attention to no pedestrian cross walks)-img_1126.jpg

So there will still be a very small decorated median according to the pictures.

Given that the Aruba budget has been completely mishandled (is anyone going to be charged?), oversight is now done by the Netherlands and there's no money left in the pot, what's the likelihood of this all happening?

They are closing Sasaki between Suprfood and the roundabout for March April and May. DOW put out post today. Also heavy maintenance from Pos Chiquito to San Nicolaas. It's going to be a zoo out there

I hear construction on the roundabout at Superfood is scheduled to begin tomorrow.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast