Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Runners please be careful

Runners please be careful

I've posted before but PLEASE PLEASE do not walk / run along the pavement edge of L.G. Smith north of the high rise area.

The other evening, a pedestrian was stuck and killed - need I say more.

That stretch of road is quite narrow, the Caribbean Sea while beautiful, can be a diversion for even the most well intended driver, and at dusk / night that roadway is not lit and it is difficult to see pedestrians with the lights from oncoming traffic.

Be safe everyone so you can live well and come back often to this idyllic and happy island.

WOW! Hard to believe . . . 167 views and not one reply! I was blown away today driving down L.G. Smith from Tierra del Sol to see yet again people jogging along the edge of the roadway thinking they can out muscle a vehicle. What is everyone thinking???

Aruba since 1979
    are they thinking............they are on vacation and are invincible? our son runs lots and even though he is an adult, i always still remind him to assume all drivers are reckless and drunk.

the area that you speak about is a scary stretch of road with lots of runners and bikers. (remember when there were horses too?)

sorry that no one posted.
    no responses are not necessarily bad thing.

nice to see u back michael
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 12-03-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Sometimes I think we're not sure how to respond. It's sad indeed that someone lost their life. I'm sure your warning is very much appreciated by all who viewed it.

167 views means you've gotten the word out to many people! Good job
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I'm often one who walks, runs or bikes on the road and quite honestly like to do so on pavement. The road is wide enough to allow 2 buses in opposite directions to pass side by side with room on both sides. Most locals wear reflector or lighting when doing at night and riding a bike anywhere in aruba ( sometimes just like a veh) is quite difficult ask Dan. On this stretch of road I often see people who are driving also filming,taking photos, texting or just plain focusing on the sites and not the road. Appreciate the warning but when you ask what everyone is thinking, I'm thinking I'm enjoying something I like and thinking a warning should be sent to all the drivers to be alert and focus on the road.

Aruba since 1979
    drivers do need to be aware!

nice to see you back mark!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MARK68 View Post
    I'm often one who walks, runs or bikes on the road and quite honestly like to do so on pavement. The road is wide enough to allow 2 buses in opposite directions to pass side by side with room on both sides. Most locals wear reflector or lighting when doing at night and riding a bike anywhere in aruba ( sometimes just like a veh) is quite difficult ask Dan. On this stretch of road I often see people who are driving also filming,taking photos, texting or just plain focusing on the sites and not the road. Appreciate the warning but when you ask what everyone is thinking, I'm thinking I'm enjoying something I like and thinking a warning should be sent to all the drivers to be alert and focus on the road.

I run (okay jog) on that stretch also but never after sunset or on the pavement. I have often wondered the same thing why folks are out at night running on that road on the pavement. There is alot of area off the road against the traffic to enjoy. As my dad used to always remind me while biking, motorbiking etc. that even if you are "in the right" you are going to end up worse off if you battle a car.

On a completely different note, no worries about running here in YYC this week........... -27C!

Sorry but my first response to your post should really have been this:

My heart and sympathy go out to the family of the victim. It is tragic anytime anyone loses their life regardless of where they were at what time and what they were doing. In times like this maybe we can only hope that this serves as a tragic reminder and will prevent other accidents from happening.

Again my condolences to the friends and family.

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Tragic. My prayers go out the family and friends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast