Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Runners please be careful

Aruba since 1979
    Rona Coster had a small editorial in the Aruba Daily re: the tragic accident that Michael referred to.

THE MALMOK LINEAR PARK. On Thursday afternoon, Thanksgiving Day, I baby-sat an 18-pounder in my oven, basting and praying for the turkey to roast evenly and not to dry up. My prayers were answered and at 7:10pm I drove out my door with the Big Stuffed Bird under foil in the back seat. I drove slowly to my Thanksgiving dinner destination, careful not to tip the pan. Unfortunately, not all drivers on Malmok drive that carefully. You know what happened. Down the strip, on the ocean side, a young man in a red tee-shirt lost his life when he was hit by a car. The jogger was running on the right-side of the street, and from the brief glance I got, before the Police directed me to the dirt road, I could not see if he was wearing anything reflective on his shoes, or a safety vest. This horrible image in now etched in my mind, it is so sad, and unfortunate, that man did not have to die like that, because the need for a running/biking trail on that gorgeous piece of landscape has been discussed many times before. On July 15th, I said in this column: It is very busy on Malmok each evening with the whole island practicing sport on the asphalted highway, and on the oceanfront dirt road. What can we do to make it as pretty and safe as the linear park in town — no kiosks, please! I am hereby renewing my request for a bike path, no kiosks. I also distinctly remember last year, I quoted a jogger, Marcus Wiggins, who also reiterated the need of a running trail, and he warned against disaster. Drs. Paul Croes, whom I met at the opening of the Aruba Racquet Club promised to talk to the decision-makers and place the Malmok linear park under the list of construction priorities. - See more at: http://aruba-daily.com/newspaper/?p=....OAWgF5eb.dpuf

Thank you everyone for your views and comments. I am sorry, but I do beg to differ with one poster who writes that the roadway is "wide enough for two buses" - defense for self-preservation is a always good rule to follow ;-) Remember, automobile always wins over pedestrian, regardless who is at fault. I too am in favour of the linear park in this area so everyone can be safe and return often to the happy island of Aruba.

Thanks Andrea . . . I am not frequent here at the moment . . . got my hands full with one of my Aruba projects ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12