Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Rusted Big Boat.......just north of the windsurfing area

Aruba since 1979

Rusted Big Boat.......just north of the windsurfing area

Does anyone know anything about that big rusted out hulk of a boat that sits in the shallow water just north of the windsurfing area?

SS Antilla was a Hamburg America Line cargo ship that was launched in 1939 and scuttled in 1940. Antilla was built for trade between Germany and the Caribbean, and was named accordingly. Antilla is a city in Holguín Province in eastern Cuba.*

http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Antilla_(1939)

Would that be the California? I believe the Antilla is completely sunken. That's where the lighthouse gets her name.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    Thanks.
    But I am speaking and questioning the big rusted out hunk of boat just a bit of the windsurf.

Aruba since 1979
    Jacki I am not sure. The story I heard a long time ago was that it washed up in the early 90s. But my source is not overly certain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Would that be the California? I believe the Antilla is completely sunken. That's where the lighthouse gets her name.

Andrea,

Hope all is well, been awhile, but I do like to periodically check the forum out. From what I understand that boat was taken off the coast and sunk to create a man made reef. Apparently/supposedly it was pushed from it's original sunken location to where it sits today during a big storm.

The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    The ship was one of the things that I remember from my first visit. As ugly as it is, I would sure miss seeing it each time i return. It pays "it's rent" by serving as a haven for many fish species.

Quote Originally Posted by tnt-k9 View Post
    Andrea,

Hope all is well, been awhile, but I do like to periodically check the forum out. From what I understand that boat was taken off the coast and sunk to create a man made reef. Apparently/supposedly it was pushed from it's original sunken location to where it sits today during a big storm.
    Good to "see" you
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    Hey murph! Thanks for the info.
    That boat is a landmark imo.
    Nice to see you!

Quote Originally Posted by tnt-k9 View Post
    Andrea,

When I was researching the book on the Antilla and the other one the German submarine attack on Eagle Refinery, that ship cam up in discussions and research. It was an old cable laying ship that was past its prime. It was towed out and sunk. In storms it returned to shore 3 times. After the last time it was decided to leave it there. There are several other sunken wrecks offshore Aruba that don't get much mention. Some interesting stories about them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast