Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: sadness~~ VALERO REFINERY to close ~~

Aruba since 1979

sadness~~ VALERO REFINERY to close ~~

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_1...ruba-refinery/

the refinery is going to close

gee i wish there were a buyer.

I hate to see people in Aruba losing their jobs. Does this mean any significant hope for its effect on Aruba:

"Valero Energy Corp. said it may transform the refinery into a petroleum terminal and storage facility."

??

Valero To Suspend Aruba Refinery Operations By End Of March
    The largest independent oil refining company in the U.S. said it evaluated alternatives for the refinery over the past two years and is now considering the possibility of operating a terminal and storage operation at the site.

For the immediate future, Valero will maintain the refinery in a state that would allow a restart.
    Gasoline Gains on Speculation Plant Shutdowns May Reduce Supply
    Futures advanced as Valero Energy Corp. (VLO) said today that it will idle its Aruba refinery because it’s losing money. The 235,000-barrel-a-day plant supplies feedstocks to U.S. Gulf Coast refiners for further upgrading into gasoline and diesel.

“It produces feedstocks that are processed in other refineries,” said Andy Lipow, president of Lipow Oil Associates LLC in Houston. “And the market is reacting to continuing refinery maintenance on the Gulf Coast.”
    Valero to suspend Aruba refinery operations
    --Aruba refinery does not make finished gasoline for U.S. market

Valero, a Texas-based independent oil refiner, said it evaluated alternatives for the 235,000 barrel-a-day refinery over the past two years and is now considering the possibility of operating a terminal and storage operation at the site. The facility doesn't produce finished gasoline for the U.S. market; it produces intermediate oil products shipped to refineries in the U.S., as well as some diesel sold mostly in South America.

For the immediate future, Valero will maintain the refinery in a state that would allow a restart.

-Aruba refinery

How many ppl will be out of work ?

Arrow some quick googling...

Dec 13, 2010 – The Valero Aruba Refinery employs more than 650 people full time

Monday, 15 August 2011
    700 Arubans would be out of a job

Nov 11, 2011 – The Aruba refinery has over 700 employees currently

Aruba since 1979
    your googling skills are masterful!!!

what did we ever do w/out it?

a loss of 700 jobs is significant.
    i wonder what percentage are folks that were brought in from other countries to do a particular job? (every once in a great while we get a post from an american that says they are considering assignment to Aruba Valero)

my guess it is less than 10% of those employed full time there..........
    meaning at least 600+ aruba residents will be out of work :-(

Wow, this is real sad i thought valero would be around for a while at least, especially after the last shut down and re-opening!
    anyone know when?

Quote Originally Posted by shariuno View Post
    anyone know when?

Our favorite place on the island, is the great beach at the Boca Grandi. The water is the best, and its very quiet.

Last week we went by the refinery about six times and i noticed way less cars in the parking lot compared to when I went by it last September. I was surprised when I noticed that. I had a feeling they must have cut way back on employees. Its sad to see it close so quickly after it reopened.

wow....haven't been on the forum for awhile and what an awful thing to come back to....
    Hopefully, if they keep it in a state of viability it can be re-opened quickly if things change.
    Maybe they should consider changing what they do and start to fully convert the process to usable gasoline...???
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast