Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: saving for trips

Aruba since 1979
    your situation is VERY different and most difficult.

you still have 2 school aged children.
    saving for vacation must be impossible or at least near impossible!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    We do the old 5 gallon water bottle for spare change thing. We've done this for years and the kids also contribute found change to the vacation bottle. The rest comes from tax refund. Maintenance fees & airfare are put on a CC and paid off as we can. There really is no vacation fund or saving to speak of!

I have a tree in my backyard that grows dollar bills. It hasn't been very fruitful in the last few years, but all is good. A few non-fruitful years leads to a very fruitful year down the road at some point (hopefully in the near future).

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleangel View Post
    I have a tree in my backyard that grows dollar bills. It hasn't been very fruitful in the last few years, but all is good. A few non-fruitful years leads to a very fruitful year down the road at some point (hopefully in the near future).
    May I please have a piece of your tree to replant in my yard?

Since I still work my wife and I save $5.00 dollar bills if we get change from the store and there is a five we put it away for Aruba for gambling. Since I am not a gambler my wife gives us $20 a night to spend I put my $20 back in my wallet and I am a winner. Dick.
    Next Aruba trip in

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    This brings up another good point. We put everything we can pay without a fee on a credit card that gives travel rewards. Phone & cable bills, groceries, gas, restaurants, insurances, everything we can goes on a card and gets paid off every month.
    Us too! We split everything between 1 hotel card and two airline cards, even my moms assisted living apartment costs. The only thing we write a check for is our dwindling mortgage. Everything is paid in full every month. We don't consciously save, fortunately it just happens.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Everything is paid in full every month. We don't consciously save, fortunately it just happens.
    Same here. Mortgage has been paid off, no car payments, no credit card bills, etc. Excess money has always automatically been direct deposited into retirement funds and savings accounts. Savings pays for big ticket items and vacations - always keep a few years of salary available and keep automatic deposits so it's always replenished without having to think about it. Frequent flyer miles are accumulated through work travel, U.S., Aruba, and Mexico vacations - and then redeemed for free business class flights to Europe. We also belong to Hilton Honors and use those points for free hotel stays whenever we see a good deal.
    ~Amy~ - Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept./Oct. 2018 --
    Italy: Nov./Dec. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    Same here. Mortgage has been paid off, no car payments, no credit card bills, etc. Excess money has always automatically been direct deposited into retirement funds and savings accounts. Savings pays for big ticket items and vacations - always keep a few years of salary available and keep automatic deposits so it's always replenished without having to think about it. Frequent flyer miles are accumulated through work travel, U.S., Aruba, and Mexico vacations - and then redeemed for free business class flights to Europe. We also belong to Hilton Honors and use those points for free hotel stays whenever we see a good deal.
    Awesome - that's my goal when I'm older too Once all the kids are done with school - many long expensive years in the future! lol
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I could not agree more with you Jacki. Until I get older I will continue to save and be semi cost conscious so I too can do as I see fit when I get a little closer to my retirement age.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Awesome - that's my goal when I'm older too Once all the kids are done with school - many long expensive years in the future! lol
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 12-06-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    i think this thread had run its course.
    more personal information has been shared than appropriate IMO
    thread closed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123