Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: saving for trips

  1. #21
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    32,265
    your situation is VERY different and most difficult.

    you still have 2 school aged children.
    saving for vacation must be impossible or at least near impossible!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    We do the old 5 gallon water bottle for spare change thing. We've done this for years and the kids also contribute found change to the vacation bottle. The rest comes from tax refund. Maintenance fees & airfare are put on a CC and paid off as we can. There really is no vacation fund or saving to speak of!

  2. #22
    Senior Member purpleangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Age
    61
    Posts
    832
    I have a tree in my backyard that grows dollar bills. It hasn't been very fruitful in the last few years, but all is good. A few non-fruitful years leads to a very fruitful year down the road at some point (hopefully in the near future).

  3. #23
    Senior Member DiviDiviFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Posts
    2,092
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleangel View Post
    I have a tree in my backyard that grows dollar bills. It hasn't been very fruitful in the last few years, but all is good. A few non-fruitful years leads to a very fruitful year down the road at some point (hopefully in the near future).
    May I please have a piece of your tree to replant in my yard?

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    433
    Since I still work my wife and I save $5.00 dollar bills if we get change from the store and there is a five we put it away for Aruba for gambling. Since I am not a gambler my wife gives us $20 a night to spend I put my $20 back in my wallet and I am a winner. Dick.
    Next Aruba trip in

  5. #25
    Senior Member WaltVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Legends Iguana Joe's, Surf Club
    Posts
    3,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    This brings up another good point. We put everything we can pay without a fee on a credit card that gives travel rewards. Phone & cable bills, groceries, gas, restaurants, insurances, everything we can goes on a card and gets paid off every month.
    Us too! We split everything between 1 hotel card and two airline cards, even my moms assisted living apartment costs. The only thing we write a check for is our dwindling mortgage. Everything is paid in full every month. We don't consciously save, fortunately it just happens.

  6. #26
    Senior Member ~Amy~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,772
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Everything is paid in full every month. We don't consciously save, fortunately it just happens.
    Same here. Mortgage has been paid off, no car payments, no credit card bills, etc. Excess money has always automatically been direct deposited into retirement funds and savings accounts. Savings pays for big ticket items and vacations - always keep a few years of salary available and keep automatic deposits so it's always replenished without having to think about it. Frequent flyer miles are accumulated through work travel, U.S., Aruba, and Mexico vacations - and then redeemed for free business class flights to Europe. We also belong to Hilton Honors and use those points for free hotel stays whenever we see a good deal.
    ~Amy~ - Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept./Oct. 2018 --
    Italy: Nov./Dec. 2018





  7. #27
    Super Moderator Jacki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,059
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    Same here. Mortgage has been paid off, no car payments, no credit card bills, etc. Excess money has always automatically been direct deposited into retirement funds and savings accounts. Savings pays for big ticket items and vacations - always keep a few years of salary available and keep automatic deposits so it's always replenished without having to think about it. Frequent flyer miles are accumulated through work travel, U.S., Aruba, and Mexico vacations - and then redeemed for free business class flights to Europe. We also belong to Hilton Honors and use those points for free hotel stays whenever we see a good deal.
    Awesome - that's my goal when I'm older too Once all the kids are done with school - many long expensive years in the future! lol
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

  8. #28
    Senior Member Aruba4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,599
    I could not agree more with you Jacki. Until I get older I will continue to save and be semi cost conscious so I too can do as I see fit when I get a little closer to my retirement age.




    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Awesome - that's my goal when I'm older too Once all the kids are done with school - many long expensive years in the future! lol
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 12-06-2017 at 04:08 PM.

  9. #29
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    32,265
    i think this thread had run its course.
    more personal information has been shared than appropriate IMO
    thread closed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO