Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jacki

Thread: Scorpions in Aruba this year

Scorpions in Aruba this year

After 7 years owning a home in Aruba, we have never encountered Scorpions. In the past weeks we have had 2 come into our home....one of which stung a visitor.

I am curious why we are now seeing them. If anyone knows what causes them to appear like this I would love to know. We do pest control, so this is a strange situation. I am wondering if they are more prevalent after the rainy season, as Scorpions must have water to survive.

I will be shaking out my shoes and looking carefully where I step at nighjt, since they a nocturnal hunters.

Anyone got some knowledge of these things to share?

Aruba since 1979
    can you contact an exterminator?
    hope your prospective renters do not look at this as a drawback.

Aruba since 1979
    how ironic / coincidental

a year ago you posted about "are there scorpions"
    wow!
    Scorpions

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    After 7 years owning a home in Aruba, we have never encountered Scorpions. In the past weeks we have had 2 come into our home....one of which stung a visitor.

I am curious why we are now seeing them. If anyone knows what causes them to appear like this I would love to know. We do pest control, so this is a strange situation. I am wondering if they are more prevalent after the rainy season, as Scorpions must have water to survive.

I will be shaking out my shoes and looking carefully where I step at nighjt, since they a nocturnal hunters.

Anyone got some knowledge of these things to share?

Yes...that is a strange coincidence. Several friends are experiencing the same situation this year

Aruba since 1979
    I hate the little beasts. Call your exterminator if you have not done so.
    I am interested in hearing what others have to say about why all of a sudden???

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    We live in Oklahoma and there are areas with lots of scorpions. Why they are now showing up can be for a couple of reasons. The biggest reason would be the clearing and new construction of a previously native growing habitat. Scorpions live under rocks, logs and detritus, when their habitat gets disturbed, they find new places to live, like your house. Another reason would be a change caused by intentional or unintentional damning of their habitat that now allows water to flood their living areas. They will move to the dryer area, like your house. Any new construction in your neighborhood? Any new areas of flooding when it rains?
    Last edited by arubabob; 03-11-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Actually Arubabob. this past January some land was cleared for a new house about 1/2 --1 mile away. To clear the shrub they burned it off over 2 days. This sort of seems a logical explanation. we do have exterminators dealing with it

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Actually Arubabob. this past January some land was cleared for a new house about 1/2 --1 mile away. To clear the shrub they burned it off over 2 days. This sort of seems a logical explanation. we do have exterminators dealing with it
    Scorpions are impervious to many insecticides and hard to kill.

Scary looking little creatures. Note to self: Don't google information on scorpions ever again
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ