Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By schexc
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: Semana Santa Holy Week Activities for Aruba residents

Aruba since 1979

Semana Santa Holy Week Activities for Aruba residents

Holy week on Aruba for the Arubans is very family oriented.
    Lots of family camping, fun, sports, card games, entertainment!

One of the many places where Arubans love to camp/gather
    is on Eagle beach between the Costa Linda resort and Paradise beach Villas.
    If you are on Aruba next week, stop by and say hello to the many families that you will see.

Aruba's Camping Tradition by Marilyn Feliciana of the ATA

Aruba’s Easter Camping Tradition

Many of our visitors during the Easter and Passover holidays are quite surprised when they stroll our beaches and discover villages of tents springing up along the shore. The tradition follows the period of Lent (known as Cuaresma to our predominantly Catholic island), specifically during the week before and after Semana Santa (Easter).
    Much like “spring break” vacation in the United States, Semana Santa is a time for families to enjoy a reprieve from work and school, and as with most occasions on the island, Arubans are extremely family-oriented, choosing to spend their free time together. The community, in general, is close-knit and Semana Santa is no exception, with large groups of extended family and friends coordinating their camping sites together. Many of these families have been frequenting the same camping area for decades. In fact, the tradition began before even the first hotels sprung up, with locals observing this Holy time in the peaceful setting of nature.
    Today, the tradition carries on, organized and monitored by the government, with families obtaining permits in officially designated areas. During camping season, activities like volleyball, beach tennis, soccer, and even live bands are enjoyed.

We've been on the island during this timeframe in previous years. It's quite a sight to see. We've never participated with the local's during this celebration and always wondered if it was proper or acceptable to do.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Also the kids are on Easter Vacation, so it makes it all the more possible for families to get together.

Aruba since 1979
    I think it is pretty acceptable.
    We have walked the beach a few times when we were there during Holy Week and watched some impromptu soccer and listened to music. Paul spoke with some older Aruban guys and was invited to sit and play dominoes.
    He was taught a dominoes game Mexican train and enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    We've been on the island during this timeframe in previous years. It's quite a sight to see. We've never participated with the local's during this celebration and always wondered if it was proper or acceptable to do.

Aruba since 1979
    ps to my comment from above.

the couple of times that we walked the beach where the families were camping/partying/playing, we were not walking or cutting thru the area where they had set up camp. we were not intrusive. we were at the waters edge watching some soccer and volleyball and kids on skim boards.

arubans are not standoffish and are very welcoming.

that being said, i am sure they would not like tourists crashing their party.

When given the opportunity we always greet them while passing by, but never intrude. As tourists, we sometimes feel like they hardly have much beach space or privacy left, so when a traditional event like this takes place, we most always try to let them have their space out of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    ps to my comment from above.

the couple of times that we walked the beach where the families were camping/partying/playing, we were not walking or cutting thru the area where they had set up camp. we were not intrusive. we were at the waters edge watching some soccer and volleyball and kids on skim boards.

arubans are not standoffish and are very welcoming.

that being said, i am sure they would not like tourists crashing their party.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Aruba since 1979
    Beach soccer on Eagle Beach Semana Santa   Holy Week Activities for Aruba residents-img_1552.jpg

As a former college soccer player and current high school coach, I am so impressed with the skills I have seen by some of the locals on the beach. When we were there this past Feb I watched some games and they were playing at a college level....quite skilled! And they appear to love it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Beach soccer on Eagle Beach Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1552.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	5921