Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Aruba since 1979
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Andrea

I have contacted some folks to get the info on Aruba's requirements to bring a ceceased ashes in and also the correct procedure for scattering of the ashes. Will advise

I hope aquaman can find an answer, as we had no luck finding an answer last year. We have travelled to Aruba since 2004. We travelled with our daughter and her husband and our four grandchildren. One of our granddaughters had Recessive Dystrophic Epidermolysis Bullosa, a very rare, life threatening genetic disease which left her with extremely fragile skin since birth. Sadly, our granddaughter passed away in 2011 and we wanted to scatter her ashes in Aruba. We made several requests for information, including requests to our resort and the Aruban government, but no one could give us an answer. We ended up simply bringing the ashes with us last summer and her sister scattered them while parasailing.

As for the travel restrictions posted by Traceyd14, we were told to also carry a copy of the death certficate and certificate of cremation and to keep the ashes in a carry-on. The funeral home supplied us with a special urn for scattering ashes, which looked like a metal tube. We had no trouble at the airport.

We also recommend you try to check ahead for any local restrictions. For example, we were told on a vacation that scattering ashes in the Grand Canyon is prohibited. The same also applies at Monument Valley as the property is part of a Navajo Reservation and the Navajo people consider it a desecration of the land to scatter human remains. In all likelihood, many have scattered ashes on those lands without any problem and we've never heard of anyone being arrested for doing so. However, you never now what could happen.

Aruba since 1979
    my condolences on the loss of your precious beloved grandchild.
    thank you for posting your story of how her remains were brought in to aruba.

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyMentos View Post
    I hope aquaman can find an answer, as we had no luck finding an answer last year. We have travelled to Aruba since 2004. We travelled with our daughter and her husband and our four grandchildren. One of our granddaughters had Recessive Dystrophic Epidermolysis Bullosa, a very rare, life threatening genetic disease which left her with extremely fragile skin since birth. Sadly, our granddaughter passed away in 2011 and we wanted to scatter her ashes in Aruba. We made several requests for information, including requests to our resort and the Aruban government, but no one could give us an answer. We ended up simply bringing the ashes with us last summer and her sister scattered them while parasailing.

As for the travel restrictions posted by Traceyd14, we were told to also carry a copy of the death certficate and certificate of cremation and to keep the ashes in a carry-on. The funeral home supplied us with a special urn for scattering ashes, which looked like a metal tube. We had no trouble at the airport.

We also recommend you try to check ahead for any local restrictions. For example, we were told on a vacation that scattering ashes in the Grand Canyon is prohibited. The same also applies at Monument Valley as the property is part of a Navajo Reservation and the Navajo people consider it a desecration of the land to scatter human remains. In all likelihood, many have scattered ashes on those lands without any problem and we've never heard of anyone being arrested for doing so. However, you never now what could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by PappyMentos View Post

My condolences also. It seems that many folks want an answer to this question and I ask that all be a little patient. A formal request on policy and protocol is being sent through the office of Arthur Dowers, Minister of Justice for clarification on this whole issue.

I will report back the response when received. From what I gather, there is currently no official policy.

John
    Last edited by aquaman; 08-27-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12