Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Sewer Odor By Low Rise

I've stayed at La Cabana for many years and have never noticed the odor. Of course I'm probably totally jinxing myself
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

The one year the occidental closed for renovations, we stayed at lacabana.
    the smell was sickening, not every day. its weird smelled more in afternoon?

I drove by yesterday afternoon with the windows open and the odor was pretty intense. (Not in a good way).

Is the odor coming from the hotel or is the odor coming from the sewage plant?
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 04-17-2015 at 02:00 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    Sewerage treatment facility
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We experienced the odor in November when we went to happy hour at Passions Beach Bar. The odor comes from the nearby sewage treatment plant and seems to be rare. But when its there, its BAD! It seems to be very hit or miss based on the reviews.

Ya we stayed in the Eagle Beach area April 3-11th and definitely smelled the odor each time we walked to the Amsterdam Manor. It was very strong, you could smell it down to the water. We did eat at Passions one night and did not notice the smell then.
    Last edited by Mitchyd; 04-17-2015 at 03:03 PM.

When you get right in between the Tamarjn and Divi you can sometimes smell the same thing. There is a septic tank on the same side as divi...some days the smell is noticeable and others not. No idea why somedays are worse than others....Maybe there is also a stink pipe there to release the gases....???
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    When you get right in between the Tamarjn and Divi you can sometimes smell the same thing. There is a septic tank on the same side as divi...some days the smell is noticeable and others not. No idea why somedays are worse than others....Maybe there is also a stink pipe there to release the gases....???
    At the Divi it is probably a pump station with a wet well full of sewage, not a septic tank. The wet well should be vented with a carbon filter....my guess is that it is not. I would love to have the opportunity to help the Aruba government with this......I've been in the wastewater business since 1975 (don't laugh, it pays the bills).

As for the wastewater treatment plant, there is no reason for a wastewater treatment plant to smell if it is designed and operated properly. Sometimes, the plants are poorly designed and there is little the operators can do. Sometimes, the designs are too sophisticated and the operators can't really run them correctly. My professional opinion is that the existing plant is ill designed and needs an upgrade. I've designed and built over a billion dollars worth of these facilities in my lifetime (actually around $1,200,000,000 worth). I would LOVE to work for Aruba to resolve the problem....it would be my dream job
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Hopefully RobO will be a consultant one day to help get them straightened out! I have mentioned before that I also work for a water/wastewater utility, and I know our plants and pump stations are constantly being upgraded to meet the demands of a growing population and our stringent EPA and DEQ regulations. Occasionally in the summer our main treatment plant will get complaints from the people who chose to buy million dollar homes basically in our backyard, and we spend a fortune trying to make sure it doesn't happen. I'm guessing we will see an additional tax or fee when it is time for an upgrade,well worth it in my opinion.

Its such a beautiful area, but I know after my experience just in one visit, I will not be making plans to return anytime soon. For those of us who rely on taxis, and do not rent a car, it's not worth going there knowing that there is a chance we would want to leave.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Traceyd14....may I ask which utility?
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast