Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shame on You Smoking Litterbugs!

I went for a very long walk on the beach today (the entire length of the low rise hotels.) On my soothing journey I observed many cigarette butts along the shore line.

It just amazes me that people who smoke (that also goes for you cigar puffers) can't find a way to dispose of their cigarettes/cigars appropriately!

I am not opposed to people smoking, but I am annoyed by those of you who feel free to throw your trash on the ground! Shame On You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You want to come to a beautiful island and then have the need to ruin it by littering!!!!!!

Tomorrow is Earth Day, maybe you litterbugs could throw your butts in an ashtray where they belong!!!!!!

kteacher
    Last edited by Kteacher; 04-22-2008 at 10:00 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    i agree with your thoughts

litter anywhere is unacceptable.
    shame on us, the human race for really hurting our earth.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Kteacher View Post
    I went for a very long walk on the beach today (the entire length of the low rise hotels.) On my soothing journey I observed many cigarette butts along the shore line.

It just amazes me that people who smoke (that also goes for you cigar puffers) can't find a way to dispose of their cigarettes/cigars appropriately!

I am not opposed to people smoking, but I am annoyed by those of you who feel free to throw your trash on the ground! Shame On You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You want to come to a beautiful island and then have the need to crap it up!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow is Earth Day, maybe you litterbugs could throw your butts in an ashtray where they belong!!!!!!

kteacher
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 04-22-2008 at 01:23 PM.

Sorry Andrea, but I think KTeacher hit the nail on the head. DOES not take much effort to find a receptacle to place your trash, cigerette butts or other trash. Did you see the recent article about the millions of pounds of trash removed from beaches?

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Phillyboater - were you the man cleaning up the cig butts at the Aruban Resort.

Why even talk about it...do what I do.

On every trip I take to Aruba I will ask housekeeping for a trash bag and when go out for one of my regular walks I'll spend just a half and hour and pick up trash (try to concentrate on plastic cups bags Etc.). It doesn't take any longer that that to fill the bag and properly dispose of it. Recently I have devised a method of determining how many times I will go out to pick up trash that works well for me. I have a pet peeve about people that rape the shoreline . It seems they feel that they are somehow entitled to take absolutely everything they find especially shells, regardless of weather the shell has something living it or not. I have personally witnessed someone pick up a shell that I had found (and returned) no more than 5 minutes earlier with a snail living in it and put in a collection bag. I have also witnessed people bring a large shell up on shore after snorkleing and have a small octopus come out of the shell. Not only did they remove an animal from the ocean that needs to be in the water to breath they pervented it from returning to the water until I walked over and asked if they were trying to intentionally kill it . I am aware of the regulations that are in affect on Aruba regarding removal of shells from the Island, and I am also aware that they feel the taking of a couple of shells is petty (unless it is a gross violation) and most incidents are totally overlooked..but to get to the point. I will allow myself to take only ONE shell (that I have not previously found) home with me for each day I stay on the Island. That means if I go for 7 days I can take home up to 7 shells. If I don't find a new shell one day then I can take home only 6 shells, if I don't find one on another day I can take 5 shells Etc. Etc. For each shell that I collect I will spend a 1/2 hour picking up trash. It seems only fair to me. Take a shell take some trash. Maybe you don't want volunteer that much of your vacation time to picking up trash, so just go out once for a 1/2 hour, everything helps. Maybe if enough people see us doing this we may even start a new trend. I guess that what I am saying is that pointing fingers does little to solve the problem (because in some way each of us has helped to create the problem)...but a small effort by all of us can make a big difference. Not only in aiding the Arubian environment, but the light that we as visiters to Aruba are viewed . Just my opinon for what it's worth.
    Last edited by TJMadhouse; 04-22-2008 at 05:30 AM.

Druif Beach, Downtown, our condo at Divi Golf and Beach resort, the pool there, Smokey Joes BBQ, Salt and Pepper, Mi Dushi Bagels, El Gaucho, Pizza Bob's...everything!
    Bravo TJMadhouse! I think your methods are not only highly commendable but also very motivating.

We'll be there in four days and are bringing our boys and I now plan on sharing with them what you just said that you do. Maybe we can follow in your footsteps, especially when it comes to the collection of shells.

Thanks for the inspiring words, hopefully many on this site will follow along, even 1/2 as much as you are doing. If so, I know we can make a difference!

I think thats great TJ, I intend on doing the same
    I cant wait till honeymoon in Aruba!!

Now, that I have revised my verbiage regarding people who litter "anywhere." I certainly apologize to any of those who were offended by my expressive language (though I never realized that was such an offensive word.)

If you think that my delivery was too strong, It is because I do not always believe that sugar coating things is effective.

As far as educating people, it should be evident that the message was for those who do litter. Why would anyone who disposes of their waste appropriately think the message was for them?

Now on a better note, I also commend TJ for picking up other peoples litter, but please do not excuse people from being accountable for their actions! If everyone did their part, we would not even be having this consversation.

Because I do practice what I preach, I will be joining the Bucuti Beach Clean-up on Wednesday April 23, 2008.

Happy Earth Day!

i dont understand how ppl can spend their hard earned money on going to such a beautifull place the reason they go and return time after time is because of its beauty but yet when their they constribute to destroying it and ruining it for the ppl who dont. what are the laws on littering in aruba what happens if u are seen littering should be an on the spot fine or something.ps good work evry one who helps keep it clean and tidy

To SKDiddy: I see that you seem to like the Divi. One of my project areas for clean up is the area between the Tamarijn and the vacant Bushri property. It is always in need of help. If you choose to go to this area there is always a trash barrel on the southern most boundary of the Tamarijn. This is a convenient place to dispose of any trash you may pick up. A couple of added bonus's for walking this area is it is a good place to find a shell or two (if you are into shells), and the rock retaining wall that faces directly out to sea in front of the Bushiri is probably the best snorkleing oppertunity you will find on Eagle, Manchebo, or Druif Beach's. I would suggest that if you do snorkle this area that start by walking to the side of the rocks that are farthest from the Tamarijn (wear some foot protection when you walk on the Bushiri property as it has been vacant for some time and there is broken glass on the ground). Snorkle the section of the rock wall that face's directly out to sea. Here you should find virtually thousands of juvinile fish of several varieties. Stay by the rocks but be aware that you may find yourself in a surf zone in close proximity to rocks so be careful. It is not particularly dangerous, but you have to remain aware of where you are.

Kteacher: Personally I did not find your language too strong. I will not, now or ever, make excuses for people, or not hold them accountable for their actions. Unfortunately we do not live in a utopian world, so we can not ever think that at anytime everyone will do their part. This means that converstions such as this will always (unfortunatly) have to brought to the forefront every once and a while. If I can do my part and maybe convince a few others that what I am doing it the "right" thing and those few can convince a few people that what they are doing is the "right" thing Etc. Etc. then maybe we can in some small way we can effect change. I did not mean to suggest that you do not pratice what you preach...you odviously know what needs to be done and are doing what you can. Also I should mention that I do not believe that all litter on the Island can be, or for that matter should be, attributed to tourist but regardless of whom may have put it there it still needs to be picked up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast