Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Happy Earth Day!

Please pick up litter as you are able, no matter where you are in the world.

Kteacher - I agree with everything you said and how you said it. I did not find anything about your message offensive and am also aggrevated by the amount of cigarettes and cigar butts you find in the sand. I guess they think it is their own personal ashtray! I once sat on my lounger and watched as the couple next to me let their complete newspaper fly into the water without getting up and getting it. When I got up and went into the water to retrieve it, I promptly went over to them and scolded them about polluting the beautiful beaches and water of Aruba. They looked at me in amazement and went back to eating their food! We are ALL responsible for own actions and polluting the earth is beyond reproach! Find a ashtry, garbage can or something other than the earth to leave your garbage in!!!

Being a native, I would like to commend all of you visitors that come to Aruba and take some time out of your vacation to contribute to the cleaning of the island.

KTeacher, your message was not offensive at all. Those that litter are offensive. A total disrespect to creation. May I add that people come to Aruba for the clean island that it is and litter and still expect to come back to a clean island upon their return. What's up with that?

Happy Earth Day, everyone.

Bryan Morris

Aruba since 1979
    i got numerous private messages about the 1st post of this thread

all were in agreement of "no excuse for littering"

kteacher, thank you for changing your wording and i changed y wording in my reply (2nd post of the thread)

littering is unacceptable and inexcusable

i had told kteacher in a private message last evening that once at a stop light i was hit with a flying lit cigarette butt from a car next to me. hit me in the face and then dropped to my lap! OUCH and boy was i mad.

remember the old soda/beer can flip tops that folks left on the ground/beach?
    and when we'd be walking we'd get some pretty good slices in our feet.

litter, no excuses.

from old girl scouting days............leave the area cleaner than how you found it.

andrea

from old girl scouting days............leave the area cleaner than how you found it.
    Exactly Andrea. It's what we still preach to our Scouts: Leave No Trace

(or as we like to say, "Pack it in, Pack it out!)

Druif Beach, Downtown, our condo at Divi Golf and Beach resort, the pool there, Smokey Joes BBQ, Salt and Pepper, Mi Dushi Bagels, El Gaucho, Pizza Bob's...everything!
    TJ, thanks for the tips, I'll check it out when we get in...can't wait!!

I whole heartedly agree with all of you on this topic. I also pick up trash on my beach walks in Aruba - but I usually bring pair of plastic gloves with me - I am kind of yucky about touching some of the trash I find. My walk is usually from the Surfside beach (behind Gavana Club near the airport) right up to the Renaissance Ocean Suites in town. Unbelievable what trash comes up there! Plastic cups should be banned! And I agree about those ciggaretts butts - everyone should be mindful of their own trash! Now the issue with shells - some people say don't take any shells. I think a small empty flat shell is fine to collect - nothing is or will live in it and it will break and could cause cut feet BUT, I do have a problem with people who snorkel or dive into the water and take out living creatures - shells and starfish and put them on the beach to "dry" so they can take them home. I was once on the beach up at Boca catalina and a copule snorkeling brought up several beautiful starfish and put them in the sun. I went right up to them and explained how they were harming the environment - they said they were going to paint them gold and put them on their Christmas Tree - I was appalled and almost got into a screaming match with them but decided to try an alternate method - I asked if I could have a couple and they gave them to me - I them proceeded to put them back in the water. Eventually, they did do the same thing. I was so thankful! Another time, I was snorkeling and someone was standing on the Coral - I said excuse me and proceeded to explain why standing on coral was a problem - breaking it and killing it. The guy was a jerk and told me to mind my own business - what did he care, he was only there for a week - I then proceeded to tell him he was there one week too long!
    I'm stepping off my soapbox now! I agree with you all. Thanks for bringing this up - if we can encourage a few people to help in the effort, it will make a difference.

Liz,
    No was'nt me picking up the butts but I would have. Have seen everything inaginable thrown out of cars at home and in Aruba. Not that hard to wait and find a proper disposal place. In the Army when I smoked you learned to "field strip" a butt or you had a really bad time. Find it disgusting that people litter. No need to sugar coat it. Aruba is paradise and vacationers as guests have no right to destroy it for the Aruba citizens and other vacationers. Of course littering at home is just as bad.
    Phillyboater

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12