Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: SIM cards?

SIM cards?

I did a search and see a few mentions of renting cell phones, turning on int'l roaming, skype etc.

Is Aruba like Europe in that you can buy just a stand-alone SIM Card and receive free incoming calls and do text msgs for super cheap?
    Last time I was in Germany I got a Vodaphone card for like 20 euro which lasted a long time doing text msgs and a couple short calls to the US.

thx

From what I understand:
    if you have a GSM (Global System for Mobile Telecommunications) cell phone you can purchase a SIM-unlocked compatible card in Aruba to telephone the US.
    Check out Telestial, SETAR or Digicel for a pre-paid SIM card.

Aruba Lisa,

I stand to be corrected but I think you have the story mixed up. If you have a unblocked telephone. You can buy a chip from Setar or Digicel, this can be done right at the airport and you'll be good to go.

Bryan Morris

My dh just tried explaining the difference to me and it IS all Greek to me.

http://www.setar.aw/index.php?option...173&Itemid=142

"Did you bring your mobile phone from abroad? SETAR provides you the best network in Aruba.
    Select SETAR, the local telecommunication provider for the best network in Aruba. Visitors from the U.S.A. with a CDMA mobile phone can now roam in Aruba with the U.S.A. providers Verizon and Sprint, making it possible that a wide variety of mobile phone users can just travel with their own phone to Aruba and use international roaming. SETAR has always brought to the island the latest in telecom technologies. Besides the existing roaming possibilities with GSM (Cingular Wireless and T-Mobile), now CDMA customers from Verizon and Sprint can also communicate while on the move in Aruba. Other services that this provider has taken care of is the Wi-fi service on the island by having a long list of hotspots on and about the tourist area making the latest in wireless communications very accessible for everyone visiting our island.
    If you have a GSM phone, select SETAR's network in your mobile phone.
    1. Select Menu
    2. Select Settings
    3. Select Phone Settings
    4. Select Network Selection
    5. Select Manual
    6. Select SETAR GSM
    For some GSM phone you will need to change the band to 900 Mhz or 1900 Mhz:
    1. Select Menu
    2. Select Settings
    3. Select Phone Settings
    4. Select Band Selection
    5. Select GSM 900 Mhz or GSM 1900 Mhz
    For TDMA phones, the frequency of SETAR is 800 Mhz and the band selection is B."

All in I know for sure is dh's got a better signal on his cell phone in Aruba than he does here at home.