Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By purpleangel

Thread: Single Travelers

Single Travelers

So, I really want to get back to Aruba for my 60th birthday in November. If I go, this will be my 4th trip to Aruba, last trip being about 5 years ago. I will be traveling solo and prefer to do AI for safety/comfort reasons. It seems single travelers always get the short end of the stick and, therefore, have to pay more. Okay, from a business perspective, with the loss of the double occupancy, I get it. I don't mind paying a little bit more. But I priced out a trip yesterday for about 6 days, including airfare and hotel. On one site, it would cost me almost $4,000!! On the site I regularly use (cheapcaribbean.com), the cost is about $2,500.

For those of you who travel/have traveled solo, do you have any tricks/tips for keeping the cost down?

DISCLAIMER: Because this is my 60th, I'm upping the ante and splurging by staying at the Riu Antilles. I like the thought of an "adults only" AI resort. The cheapcaribbean.com price is palatable, but if I can get the cost down to under $2,000, I'd be even happier.

Thanks in advance!

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    You did not say when in November, how long you are staying or if the price includes airfare. This would be helpful info.

Aruba since 1979
    i am amazed that for only 6 days including air the price is so high for single supplement ai at the riu.

you mentioned safety/comfort reasons for chosing ai.
    would you feel unsafe in aruba on non all inclusive?

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    You did not say when in November, how long you are staying or if the price includes airfare. This would be helpful info.
    As mentioned in my post, I plan on going for about 6 days and the prices I quoted are for airfare and hotel. I will be going around Thanksgiving. I'm flexible with the dates, I just want to be in Aruba on my actual birthday, which is November 25 (day after Thanksgiving). The prices in my original post are for arrival on November 20 and departure on November 27.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i am amazed that for only 6 days including air the price is so high for single supplement ai at the riu.

you mentioned safety/comfort reasons for chosing ai.
    would you feel unsafe in aruba on non all inclusive?
    Maybe "unsafe" was the wrong word to have used. I like AI because everything is paid for up front, and I don't have to carry a lot of cash. And, given this is my 60th, I expect to be hooked up to a cocktail IV the whole time I'm there. I'm open to non-AI, but don't know if I would go that route on a solo trip. There are so many restaurants I read about in everyone's trip reports that I would like to visit, but want to share that experience with someone.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleangel View Post
    As mentioned in my post, I plan on going for about 6 days and the prices I quoted are for airfare and hotel. I will be going around Thanksgiving. I'm flexible with the dates, I just want to be in Aruba on my actual birthday, which is November 25 (day after Thanksgiving). The prices in my original post are for arrival on November 20 and departure on November 27.

Maybe "unsafe" was the wrong word to have used. I like AI because everything is paid for up front, and I don't have to carry a lot of cash. And, given this is my 60th, I expect to be hooked up to a cocktail IV the whole time I'm there. I'm open to non-AI, but don't know if I would go that route on a solo trip. There are so many restaurants I read about in everyone's trip reports that I would like to visit, but want to share that experience with someone.
    I agree with you about the sharing of the restaurant experiences. Its not much fun to dine alone. You could check on options of resorts that have 3 or 4 in house restaurants though such as the Marriott complex or the Hilton. Both have several dining choices plus some close walk to places nearby.

I wonder if it would be less expensive to stay non-all inclusive. It seems that a single supplement would be higher on all inclusive. There are a number of restaurants just across the street from the Hilton or Hyatt. If you don't have to be in the Palm Beach area, Manchebo also does AI and may be less expensive.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Just for ha has, I priced out AI at Manchebo - $3,200 (this would include air as well). For non-AI at Manchebo (with air), it's pricing out at $2,300. So far, looks like Riu Antilles is the bargain.
    Darlene

Re dining alone - have you looked at places with communal dining? "Carte Blanche", "2 Fools and A Bull" and "Kitchen Table" all have dining rooms where everybody sits together. 2 Fools, in particular, is VERY social.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Re dining alone - have you looked at places with communal dining? "Carte Blanche", "2 Fools and A Bull" and "Kitchen Table" all have dining rooms where everybody sits together. 2 Fools, in particular, is VERY social.
    Yes, I've thought about several of these places. I would have to select one restaurant for dinner one night. I couldn't afford to eat at places like this every night!