Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Situation with Venezuelean citizen

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsLancaster2B View Post
    This article is dated 13 October 2015. And it's in Spanish.

Here is a google translation:

Suggests ATIA require a visa to enter from Venezuela to Aruba

Oranjestad - The Association of Commerce and Industry of Aruba (ATIA), representing the business sector, it expressed concern about the negative effects of what they called a "non-traditional tourism" from Venezuela. Today, through a statement they expressed concern detail.

According ATIA, Venezuela is currently going through a period of crisis and the effects of this are also felt in Aruba.

The following is a partial translation of the statement:

SITUATION AT THE AIRPORT

Migration situation at the airport of Aruba is tense due to the process controls are carried tourists from Venezuela. As has happened in recent months it has intensified control as to the amount of cash that each person must have in order to enter the island. This control process cash and check the place of accommodation for tourists Venezuela, hindering the flow of tourists from other destinations that come to our island.

Consequently, this situation is affecting the first impression you get from tourists Aruba, which generates negative comments that surely do not want. ATIA expected by those seeking solutions to clean up this situation.

ACCOMMODATION

A large proportion of tourists from Venezuela, according to the trade union, come for a few days and stay in family homes and apartments rather than hotels. The accommodations and illegal taxis take advantage of the situation to get an extra ticket without paying taxes. They have also seen cases where there is no accommodation available and people have chosen to sleep outdoors on the beaches. Daily groups are walking around the island with suitcases in tow. The accommodation in the residential sectors have become common transit certain amount of people walk through these areas, creating a tension at any time of day. The image and the effects of this non-traditional tourism and promote lawlessness that this brings, is damaging to the image of Aruba on the outside and at the other tourists who visit our island and I do stay in hotels and spend money.

THE BARK-QUOTAS

As mentioned above, the financial situation of Venezuela has caused a group of Venezuelan tourists come to Aruba for financial reasons. This group tries at all costs to get the money from Aruba. The number of cases of scratch-quota is alarming, because many dollars in cash are being pulled out of Aruba, thus causing a slowdown in cash flow in our island. ATIA supports Aruba Bankers Association in its actions against establishments that provide scratch-quotas. Those traders who facilitate transactions scratch-quotas should be aware that it is illegal and could face the consequences.

SECURITY

Finally, the biggest concern is safety on our island. ATIA is concerned about the number of tourists from Venezuela who are exceeding their period of stay as tourists. Venezuela is one of the most dangerous countries in the world and while some are looking for a better future, others are just looking for easy money and commit criminal acts for that purpose.

SUGGESTIONS

Recently ATIA, along with AHATA and FTA, met with ministers concerning safety and gave some suggestions to improve the situation. Some of these suggestions are: Increase police presence in the areas of Palm Beach, Eagle, Low-rise and Oranjestad, especially at night and on weekends; Increase police presence on the beaches; Implement and enforce a new law to area beaches; Implement the project of cameras.

PROBE THE POSSIBILITY OF DEMAND VISAS

They should also probe the possibilities to introduce a visa stay for tourists from Venezuela, as there is for tourists from Colombia, and introduce stricter laws to enter Aruba. This would limit the amount of people from Venezuela who come to our island. As for the situation at the airport ATIA suggests that a pre-screening of Venezuelan tourists before reaching migration and to be put in a separate row, as is done with local passengers is implemented. Thus they avoid the long queues and no other tourist destinations would be affected.

Just unbelievable! Hope everything is smooth for you Mrs. Lancaster & Jen
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Wow that article paints a very bad problem with Venezuelan travelers. It mentions some Venezuelans pose as Taxi drivers illegally to make a quick buck, some sleep at the beach, some are turning to petty crimes, depeleting Aruba's bank cash by using credit card advances. The good news is that they are aware of these problems and are working on a system to screen and reduce the amount of visitors. It mentions they might imposed a visa like they do for Columbian citizens.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by ace2063 View Post
    Wow that article paints a very bad problem with Venezuelan travelers. It mentions some Venezuelans pose as Taxi drivers illegally to make a quick buck, some sleep at the beach, some are turning to petty crimes, depeleting Aruba's bank cash by using credit card advances. The good news is that they are aware of these problems and are working on a system to screen and reduce the amount of visitors. It mentions they might imposed a visa like they do for Columbian citizens.
    Just a few weeks ago I read an online article that Aruba had increased the flights coming from Venezuela, that two more flights per week would now arrive. I also read just recently, that some of the drug smugglers (cocaine) are not coming by boat anymore but by plane.

I also remember that some time ago (couple of years?) that Aruba was increasing their advertisement to get more tourists from South America.

I saw online a petition set by Aruba to get Venezuelans to have visas

"ARUBA WANTS VISA FOR VENEZUELANS"
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/a...or-venezuelans

Well the Colombians have to travel there with Visas so why not the same for the Venezuelans.

So was there another robbery? If so, that makes me very unhappy.

Aruba since 1979
    no there was not another robbery
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    So was there another robbery? If so, that makes me very unhappy.

I hate hearing any of this, but glad we can be made aware of it. It reminds me of Mexico when I was vacationing there over a period of time. The beautiful resorts, the lovely beaches and the very nice people that live there. Then the crime spiked and you cannot leave your resort without worrying for your safety. Aruba is my number one place to go because of the safety.
    : (

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast