Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skype

alu

After reading the comments about using Skype, I still have a few questions.
    Which plan do most of you purchase for your Aruba vacations….monthly subscription or Skype credit? Has anyone opted to use the ‘on line phone number’ to receive calls, voice mail, etc. and if so, does it work well ? Is it possible to make calls (reservations) to Aruba while I’m vacationing in Aruba? Would the cost be the same as if calling from the US ?
    Hopefully, one of the many Skype users can answer my questions…. Thanks in advance for your help.

Which plan do most of you purchase for your Aruba vacations….monthly subscription or Skype credit?

I use the Skype Credit and top it up when it gets low.

Is it possible to make calls (reservations) to Aruba while I’m vacationing in Aruba?

Yes. not sure of the cost.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Aruba since 1979
    [B]hi
    welcome to the aruba.com forum

i am a fan and a user of skype and can answer some of your questions, but do advise you to go to

www.skype.com and search the FAQ

i purchase skype credit and do not use the online phone number

my husband and i have used skype in aruba calling different aruba numbers making dinner reservations, or calling friends. YES it works well and the price is minimal...i think something like .12 cents. calling usa from skype is a little more expensive, although not much.....maybe around .22 cents per minute.

liz - arubalover on this site uses skype and may be able to answer in much more detail.

bottom line is if you do not want to deal with a cell phone, have wifi at your resort skype may be your best bet.

hopefully liz will be able to help and will reply here.
    /B]

Quote Originally Posted by alu View Post
    Which plan do most of you purchase for your Aruba vacations….monthly subscription or Skype credit? Has anyone opted to use the ‘on line phone number’ to receive calls, voice mail, etc. and if so, does it work well ? Is it possible to make calls (reservations) to Aruba while I’m vacationing in Aruba? Would the cost be the same as if calling from the US ?
    Hopefully, one of the many Skype users can answer my questions…. Thanks in advance for your help.

Instead of buying phone cards I will be bringing laptop and using Skype to contact family & friends. Will be staying at La Cabana BRC and know there is a fee for wi fi. Wanted to know if I will only be able to use the laptop at La Cabana or if I can use it at other areas on the island for the same fee. Or would I have to pay another fee to use elsewhere?

you will be able to use it other places. You will purchase interenet access thru Wifi Aruba and be able to connect to their spots. When you open your browser at LaCabana you will get the page for Wifi Aruba and be able to choose the length of access you want and pay by CC. Make sure you write down/copy your access code!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Nice, I'll be doing the same with my iPhone (except at Divi).

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    you will be able to use it other places. You will purchase interenet access thru Wifi Aruba and be able to connect to their spots. When you open your browser at LaCabana you will get the page for Wifi Aruba and be able to choose the length of access you want and pay by CC. Make sure you write down/copy your access code!

Thank you so much for the info, really appreciate it. I was not sure as this is the first time taking my laptop. I did not know if using Skype would be free after paying for the internet access. My daughter talks with a friend in Brazil using Skype and there is no additional charge.

Some further "skype in Aruba" information

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/skype.html

Quote Originally Posted by bud2sam View Post
    Thank you so much for the info, really appreciate it. I was not sure as this is the first time taking my laptop. I did not know if using Skype would be free after paying for the internet access. My daughter talks with a friend in Brazil using Skype and there is no additional charge.
    As long as the person on the other end is using Skype, it's free. It'll only cost money if you're calling from your PC to a physical phone somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ples View Post
    As long as the person on the other end is using Skype, it's free. It'll only cost money if you're calling from your PC to a physical phone somewhere.

Thank you for the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast