Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    A pc with a webcam built in does fine, we Skype often from EastCoast to UK. If both "members ' are on a pc it is free. If you call PC to phone it cost money

Last evening a friend in Aruba called me from their computer to our telephone. I mentioned to hang up and I would get back to her using skype computer to computer.

The phone call 30 cents. The skype to skype call for 15 minutes..... FREE!

A few days ago I called Aruba to a Cell phone using skype and talked for a few minutes and it cost 78 cents.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Thanks for all this good info. Thats why this is a great site with great forum members, cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Retagger View Post
    I wrote about the Skype W-Fi phone on numerous occasions here. I use Skype all the time but WITHOUT a computer. I use the Wi-Fi Skype phone which is about the size of a regular cell phone. It is so much easier than taking a computer with you.

This link talks about that phone in more detail.

http://www.aruba.com/forum/f7/skype-wi-fi-phone-30559/
    okay, one more question..so you take the skype phone with you and call from a wifi accessable area....2 cents a minute is great, but do you have to prepay or do you give skype a credit card number and they just charge you for your calls???
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    danadog, the way I understand it, you can do a monthly service charge or by the call.
    I need to keep reading more about it from the forum. May be over my head here. Google skype

I travel extensively worldwide and LOVE Skype! It is often just a couple of cents a minute to a foreign country. In January I was calling from Ecuador to the USA for 2 cents a minute and the call quality was great. Occassionally you get an echo but I just hang up, make the call again and that generally solves the problem.

Internet cafes around the world have skype installed on them and also have headphones. Not sure about Aruba.

I just checked call costs between Aruba and the US and they are .164 cents to a land line and .239 to a mobile line. That is quite high compared to many other countries I have called from.

It is very easy to use and I swear by it for most countries.

The cost to call from Aruba to the U.S. is only 2 cents per minute.
    The cost to call from the U.S. to Aruba is 20 cents per minute.

The bottom line: it is much cheaper using Skype than using a cell phone
    or a regular land line.

If you have an iPhone install the app Fring and sign up for Voipstunt. Voipstunt lets you dial an actual phone number for free in a select number of countries. Fring lets you setup Voipstunt in their app (which also lets you setup Skype as well). No incoming calls but thats ok. Fring you can also sign up for Gizmo5 which does include an incoming phone number.

So you can now make calls but also receive calls (granted with Fring you can only have either Voipstunt or Gizmo setup at a time).

I'll be landing on the 20th so thats what we'll be using as our communication back home (just need to remember to put my phone in Airplane mode).

Voipstunt also has a PC app.

Edit: Appears Voipstunt is only limited to a few minutes. If you have GoogleVoice and Gizmo you can have Googlevoice call your Gizmo number then place the call to any landline. Might try that option as well.
    Last edited by Powaking; 04-16-2009 at 03:25 PM.

Yeah for the first time I am going to go with Fast Phones. I just need to make a quick couple of calls back home to the family to check in.

I made the reservation is this place located outside the airport?

Fast phones is located inside the airport. When you exit it will be on your right if your walking out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast