Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Solo traveler

The trick to dining solo in a restaurant is to sit at the bar. When sitting at a bar you blend in more and don't feel like your dining alone. You could also bring along a book or your kindle.

My first two visits to Aruba(2010, 2012) involved meeting my aunt and her family while they were staying at Caribbean Palm Village out in Noord. Since then all of my visits (January 2014, September 2014 and September 2016) have been solo trips. With my relatives there was always the whole, "We have somewhere to go today!!" be it the beach, the city, one of the many tourist sites etc. I found that with all the running around it made the days fly by even faster. Cons of traveling solo to Aruba:
    1.If you're not an experienced or confident driver there is no way that you are going to rent a car, which means relying on public transportation or taxi.
    2.If you fall ill or get injured(from fighting with a runaway rental car) you have to see about yourself; and it's a lot harder to assure worried family members that you're okay(following said fight with a runaway rental car).
    3.It can be a bit lonely when you go down to the pool, beach, meals on your own, and you're surrounded by families, or couples. The same applies to tours and outings, on the Kukoo-Kunuku I went on my own, and overheard this one guy telling his group while pointing at me, "It's just not right for anyone to come on something like this on their own. It's kind of creepy if you ask me."

Pros about travelling on your own to Aruba:
    1.You are not on any set schedule when it comes to activities, trips, etc.
    2.You have a who lot of space to yourself, at CPV with my relatives I was relegated to the foldout couch bed. At La Cabana I could choose between the bed and the foldout couch bed. At the Marriot Surf Club I had the choice of two bedrooms and the couch bed in the living room.
    3.No one nagging you to get up by a certain time.
    4. Having your day wide open to do whatever you want without any interruptions. If I wanted to pick up a few books and sit by the pool or on the beach to read for as long as I wanted without anyone calling me to go someplace.
    5. Eating whatever you want for meals and having no one make an issue about it.
    6. Being on your own while going to take meals, to sit by the pool, the beach or out on trips makes you have to step out of your comfort zone and strike up a conversation with one or two of the people around you. On the same Kukoo-Kunku trip I managed to strike up a conversation with the folks that I was seated with at dinner and I was even invited by three ladies(sisters) who were on the trip to hang out with them for the course of the evening.
    7.You can meet up with friends that are already there. I have two friends who I met through the forum and facebook that I always see whenever I visit.
    8. You can move a whole lot faster through the airport when arriving and departing.

I'm still hoping that one of these days my siblings or friends will be able to make a trip with me to Aruba. Till then, I'll be rolling Solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    The trick to dining solo in a restaurant is to sit at the bar. When sitting at a bar you blend in more and don't feel like your dining alone. You could also bring along a book or your kindle.
    I learned this years ago when I travel for business. It applies on solo vacations, too. I have never brought a book to a restaurant but I have on many occasions brought a newspaper. People will also sometimes ask you to join them - had that happen a few times in Aruba and ended up having some great dinner conversations while making new friends.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- South Beach, FL: Feb. 2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

I always sit at the bar when dining along except when there is no bar, lol. I really don't mind dining alone, I don't really worry about what others think about me or why I am alone. Most of my meals are eaten at the Ritz so I am never really alone...People always stop by to chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    The timeshare I owned was for 4 weeks. One of the weeks always fell during Easter vacation. Since DH works at a school the only times he can take vacation is when school is closed. During my timeshare weeks the most he could stay is 10 days and only then 10 days if he gets Good Friday and the Monday after Easter (depending on when Passover falls). So 20 days I'm by myself. Besides the April weeks I've been at Christmas and New Years many times (once hubby came at that time), at Thanksgiving and other months. I just came back in May after spending 11 days by myself. A few times friends have joined me. But 99% of the time I'm solo.

Like Jay I always sit at the bar though if there isn't a bar to dine at I have no problem sitting at a table by myself. I'm used to dining by myself as when I had my travel business I usually dined alone when I didn't have to dine with my groups. Over the years in Aruba I've met so many friends, mostly people that work in the F&B industry. I always go to their restaurants and bars so I always have someone to talk to. Wherever I stay in Aruba I always find someone to talk to so I'm really not lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i am not a good flyer, so i am not sure who would hold my hand during take offs.
    Jesus?

Aruba since 1979
    coffee just blew out my nose
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Jesus?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12