Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Some strong words by Ewald Biemans in "Morning News" re: "our fragile planet"

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    It's now two and half years later since Mr. Ewald Bieman gave this speech. I completely agree with everything he said!

Excerpt:

“Our government departments are not enforcing some of the basics: illegal dumping, indiscriminate destruction of land and nature, mistreatment of animals, preservation of fauna, flora and reefs, the mangroves and the ocean. There are laws in place, but they are rarely enforced.”
    “Here is my plea to you: We all go out there and make sure that we do not continue to destroy what there is. We are all of us neglecting our nature by destroying hectare upon hectare, dumping mountains of garbage into the sea, and the mangroves, and as a result, killing a sustainable marine environment. We are destroying our reefs and beaches; over-fishing our ocean. We are over-building and destroying our fauna and flora…We are destroying our own natural resources that we depend on for generations to come. What will future generations do if our beautiful beaches and cactus forests are gone, and our island has become a solid mass of concrete? Just think about it…will we convert a national park into an amusement park? Then invite visitors to go there and see what was a pristine island…spoiled by man? Let us be realistic, acknowledge that our nature, our beaches and our sea are the one and only natural resources we have.”
    “Sustainability is more than just alternative energy sources, it is community involvement, service, preservation of culture, environment and NATURE. Tourism isn’t our economic pillar, nature is, because without the unspoiled nature there would be no tourism.”

http://themorningnewsaruba.com/2013/...ustainability/

Simply brilliant.
    Talk about words of wisdom.

How does that get out to each and every one of the natives of the island, AND the multitude of tourists that don't
    seem to share the same level of respect for the island and it's natural inhabitants that we all do?
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

CK1
    Greg Peterson of Aruba is as well trying to protect Aruab's nature and beauty.

From his FB:

Beauty in Aruba: Conservation efforts in motion
    In every country and throughout our history of democracy, there have been moments of friction between opposing forces, even within one and the same government. Unfortunately, in battles between infrastructure, tourism and nature history has taught us that nature always loses.
    Mankind is destroying his own habitat as a result of greed. If the powers that drive infrastructure and tourism were given total freedom, Aruba would consist solely of hotels, condominiums, malls, homes, apartments and completely congested roads.
    But there are those who envision a green Aruba, against all odds and with little money, limited time and no greed they try to protect Mother Nature, only for the love of their island and the generations to come.
    There are many that truly care…
    The Minister responsible for Environment and Nature has established a “Nature Team”. Our respect goes to Minister de Meza for standing up for the underdog, against the powers that prevail in infrastructure and tourism and we respect the members of this team who have taken it upon themselves to do what they can to protect the little nature we have left in Aruba.
    We all know that it is much easier to give away land than it is to protect it...
    The pictures show the members of Minister de Meza’s Nature team.
    It is an uphill battle, but it starts with care.
    Thank you for truly caring.

https://www.facebook.com/ArubaBirdlife

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ratt View Post
    Simply brilliant.
    Talk about words of wisdom.

How does that get out to each and every one of the natives of the island, AND the multitude of tourists that don't
    seem to share the same level of respect for the island and it's natural inhabitants that we all do?
    Many locals and tourists as well care for the nature of Aruba. However, the overbuilding and destruction of nature continues. I wished there would be a way to prevent this from happening.

I remember very well that approx. ten years ago many people were against building the Ritz and destroying the Fisherman's Huts. An online Petition was started, many signed it, I was one of them. The Ritz was build anyway.

I also remember that many people, locals and tourists, didn't like the RIU. Back then, the government said "this is the last big building which will be build on Aruba..." It turns out, it's otherwise. And there are more plans for more resorts, like on Baby Beach.

My heart breaks for Aruba and her people.

To add to that....I remember when the Phoenix was built and the gov't said THAT was the last building. But nope, they built Marriottville.
    ~Amy~® - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

As long as there is space to build the building will continue.

Aruba since 1979
    the residents of aruba need to stand together in solidarity against the overdevelopment.
    it is their island. they need to be the ones to stop it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123