Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spam

I love the whole island, so it's hard to choose, but if I have to then I would say baby beach & the natural bridge area

Spam

This is a wonderful informational forum, BUT sadly I have to say that visiting this site invokes more SPAM than I care to receive ! What the hecks up with all the SPAM immediately after visiting here

Are you talking about pop-ups or email spam? I don't really notice any. If it's popups, you might have some spyware/adware on your computer. Those are a huge problem these days and they are usually attached to cookies and temporary internet files. Try cleaning those up to start with. If that doesn't work then sometimes they get into your registry and you can use Adaware or spybot to clean up your computer (they are free).

Hope that helps,
    Matt
    Aruba...I'd say we're a little more than slightly hooked! We'll be back as soon as possible

I love the whole island, so it's hard to choose, but if I have to then I would say baby beach & the natural bridge area
    Thanks Beastnatch! I am referring to email SPAM. I'll give your suggestion a try

Aruba since 1979
    the aruba tourism does not sell or give away your email or any of your registration information for ANY purpose.

if you click on a link on any site, you are leaving an internet fingerprint and that could trigger the spam emails. (ex: you click on a link for a restaurant in aruba, now you are on their site, and boom....you have left a cyberprint, and junk mail may or may not start happening.

i get 15+ junk mails a day. mostly from investment places as i frequent Motley Fool site.

run the spyware and adware deletions (cookies and temporary files)

Quote Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
    This is a wonderful informational forum, BUT sadly I have to say that visiting this site invokes more SPAM than I care to receive ! What the hecks up with all the SPAM immediately after visiting here

Aruba since 1979
    arubalisa or someoone more computer savvy than i, would you do a better job of 'splaining what i am trying to say?
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    the aruba tourism does not sell or give away your email or any of your registration information for ANY purpose.

if you click on a link on any site, you are leaving an internet fingerprint and that could trigger the spam emails. (ex: you click on a link for a restaurant in aruba, now you are on their site, and boom....you have left a cyberprint, and junk mail may or may not start happening.

i get 15+ junk mails a day. mostly from investment places as i frequent Motley Fool site.

run the spyware and adware deletions (cookies and temporary files)

I highly recommend Webroot | Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware and Firewall

How online threats can damage your computer
    Online security threats come in many forms — the most common types come from spyware andviruses, which could install themselves without your knowledge as you visit Web sites or download software. Spyware programs are specifically designed to infiltrate your computer for commercial gain (stealing personal information or displaying annoying advertisements), while viruses are typically designed to damage your computer.

Types of spyware programs include system monitors that capture your e-mails and keystrokes, Trojan horses that can steal or destroy data, adware that pops up advertising, and tracking cookies that store information about your online preferences and habits. While some of these programs may be harmless, others can steal your personal information and send it to a third party for malicious purposes. In some cases, these programs can damage your computer enough to slow down processing times or cause system crashes. Spyware and other unwanted programs may be part of a program that you installed or they may install themselves as you visit Web sites. They could also arrive bundled with freeware or shareware, through e-mail, or by someone with access to your computer. These programs are difficult to detect, and difficult (if not impossible) to remove. Spyware can hide in multiple locations and can reinstall if you don’t remove it properly with specialized antispyware software like Spy Sweeper.

A virus is computer code that often duplicates itself and causes a specific event to occur. The event may be harmless, such as displaying a message on a specific date, or may be malicious, such as deleting data or duplicating data to fill a hard drive. Viruses can arrive as file attachments to e-mail, as embedded files on a CD, and as clickable graphics in an e-mail. Once on your hard drive, viruses are difficult to detect and remove, unless you have specialized antivirus software.
    I just had a web client whose site was hacked and left with 2 viruses and 1 Malware. Anyone who went to his website without protection on their computer would have been affected. Spy Sweeper alerted me to them and blocked them from being loaded on my computers. Just like not having back ups only to have your computer crash and your losing EVERYTHING, you only have that happen to you once before you do something about it.

FWIW, while I am on my soap box, if you use Microsoft, always make sure you accept security updates (there was a fairly large one this week- generally occur on Tuesdays) to insure that you have the most up-to-date security. For more info http://www.update.microsoft.com/ <<stepping off my internet security soapbox>>

If you have kids do you know how to track the sites which they have visited on the computer?

When was the last time you back up your data on your computer? Too lazy to use Cd's and/or DVD's because they are a hassle? Consider an external hard drive. Simply drag and drop, just that simple.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 05-15-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    arubalisa or someoone more computer savvy than i, would you do a better job of 'splaining what i am trying to say?
    andrea
    Cookie Central
    Explains the "fingerprint". Different sites use cookies for different things. Assuming everyone here has done a google search at least once in their lives, google stores a cookie on your computer.

Google's purpose of using the cookie is to remember user preferences. Their cookie plants a unique ID on your hard disk for profiling purposes. Thus the reason why you visit websites which serve Google ads, you many receive ads tailored to your favorite search words or geographic location.

Some websites, such as this one will assign a cookie to enable you to NOT have to login each and every time you come to the forum. In other words, it "remembers you" via cookie.

Many websites, such as my own websites, simply assign cookies for the purpose of tracking information, but not personal information and cookies have no "control" over your computer. For example my cookies gather: browser type, what pages have been viewed (and are not being viewed), when they were viewed, country of origin, where you came from to arrive at the site, if you came from a search engine what was the word you used for search that lead you to the site? All pretty obscure stuff, but important when you are trying to present info in a website geared to a specific audience.

Disable Cookies
    For a specific browser, search disable cookies "I.E. 7.0" or whatever your browser is.

FYI, if you disable your cookies, you will have to log in each and every time that you return here to the forum.

http://www.cookiecentral.com/faq/ Cookie FAQ

IMHO, cookies are not worth worrying about. They are good at remembering things like your log ins. Again, I cannot say it enough, Spyware, malware, viruses etc. are what you should be concerned about.

Find more Anti-virus and spyware info online.

I'm using a Mac and it is has a strong immunity to most viruses and I get no SPAM or nada from using the forums.

Viva la Mac revolution!
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Spam....and other threats

By way of introduction, we own and operate an IT Systems and Consulting firm. We service and assist primarily business customers, and daily we deal with the issue of spam and other Internet borne threats, some of which are so clever, I often wonder why the minds that develop don't put their skils to work productively and make some good money.

Amongst our customers are companies who manufacture for Walmart, dealerships for BMW,Honda,Ford and the other manufacturers etc., amongst others. The majority of our customers must link their networks to the manufacturers and the head offices of their customers. This therefore demands that their network security be strong and without compromise.

In order to provide advice and assistance, we are continually researching evolving products and testing these. We have identified products that are suitable for individual one person situations up to businesses with 1000's of employees. We deal with spam, viruses, grayware, browser hijackers, phishing sites to name a few.

For individual use, we have for the past few years had great success with antivirus and Internet security protection from Kaspersky Labs. This company has emeged from virtual obscurity some 5-7 years ago, into an industry leader. We have used this product where customers have had other antivirus etc. products in place and found risks not exposed by the others. At a General Motors retailer, where GM had requested us to visit due to frequent network failure, and where a well known product was in use, we identified of 14,000 virus infections and compromises on the network. This was astounding.

If you want to try this product, we have a free trial area setup on http://www.kaspersky.bentor.com/ Feel free to visit a try it out.

A word of caution...it is strongly recommended that other a/v a/s products be removed before using Kaspersky.

For antispam use version 6 or 7 as these versions handle antispam, antivirus, anti hacking, anti spyware etc.

I hope this helps shopaholic and others.

As a footnote. Last week in California, the courts awarded damages against two of the worst spammers in the US. The fine was approx $240 Million. These guys have currntly disappeared. Also, in the past 3 weeks, we have seen the emergence of a major spamming network located in Taiwan. If you have seen an increase in the last 2 weeks, it is probably from there. Unfortunately, the really effective antispam technology we use is more for business use than home use, and is priced that way also.

Posting about SPAM

I am advised by the bb moderator that some concerns have been expressed about my post being spam. Far from this, I was attempting to provide a resource and be of assistance. To those offended, my apologies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast