Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spam

Quote Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
    This is a wonderful informational forum, BUT sadly I have to say that visiting this site invokes more SPAM than I care to receive ! What the hecks up with all the SPAM immediately after visiting here
    I've never received spam email from this site, as far as I know.
    It could be the result of some sort of adware or spyware on your computer.
    Once, whenever I went to the VisitAruba bulletin board I would be redirected to a British Airways site. I would have to close the window and reopen it to get to the site until I got rid of the adware.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    No spam for me, thank goodness, cindyo

Palm Beach March 2016
    Aruba May & June 2016
    Aruba Dec 2016 NYE

I love the whole island, so it's hard to choose, but if I have to then I would say baby beach & the natural bridge area

Thanks to all of you for your insight and advice as to how or why I might be receiving SPAM. sometimes I do click on the other links and as someone so adequately put it that could be the cause of the 15+ emails I recieve daily.

My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.

Talking Spam versus virus

Quite fun to read people's answers regarding Spam.

Let me try to make a simple explanation, it is a lot more complexed, but just to make so that as many as possible understand it:

Spam is normally considered the unsolicited email you get.

Spam can NOT come from visiting a website.

A virus/trojan/worm etc can get on your pc from just visiting an infected site. This can cause pop-ups with commercials or scams, or can take control of your pc without you noticing it, and make you part of a so called botnet.

So spam can only come to you, by someone "harvesting" your email address, which in the case of this forum, means that they can scan all the forum entries for "@" and then use that email, or they can break into the database of the forum, that holds all of our emails.
    This is not as hard as you might think, especially not from a non-commercial website. It happens everyday and can happen at any forum or ecommerce site.

There is no effective way to stop Spammers from spamming you, but a good anti-spam program will take most of it away before you open your mailbox, so you wont see it or be bothered by it.

Regarding security vendors: All the large vendors have good protection and at the same time none of them have 100% protection.
    If you run another anti-virus program on a network that has Kaspersky installed it will normally find viruses that Kaspersky missed. And this goes for all the major vendors.

Regarding Mac/Apple: It is not more secure than i.e. Windows, it just have a smaller marketshare and therefore less virus writers makes viruses for it.
    There is NOT less chance of getting Spam on a Mac. This has to do with your email account and nothing to do with the operating system.

So the bottom line is. Using your email account on any ecommerce site or forum or other place on the Internet makes you a Spam target. Visiting websites in general without a good Security program installed and updated makes you a target for Virus.
    Don't stop using the Internet, but make sure you got a good Security Program and set it to update at least weekly.

Sorry if it got a little long and a little technical, but hard to explain in another way.

(I am not a geek, but run an International IT-Security company. And for the moderator: we don't sell anything to consumers ).

Happy surfing

Last edited by Schnauzerjoy; 05-21-2008 at 08:06 PM.

All I know is that the computer wizards in our office keep mine running!!! I have no idea what I am doing!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12