Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Starfish Patrol

Starfish Patrol

I wasn't really sure where to post this. I'm just expressing my concern by how many people remove Starfish from the sea. I've been in Aruba since 3rd August and every week I'm going up to idiots on the beach telling them to put the Starfish back into the ocean. My husband calls me Starfish patrol I literally snatched one off a couple last week telling them they'll kill it and I was taking it out deeper where idiots couldn't harm it. I understand that people like to see them, get a photo but it angers me how so many take them out of water up the beach and then pose with them for a good 10 minutes. Last week one was taken out and when they eventually put it back it was already dead and it's insides were coming out it really upsets me. I'm thinking of now holding humans heads under the water for ten minutes while I have my photo taken see how they like being forced to be somewhere they aren't meant to. I've seen lots of signs on beaches about taking your trash home I'm wondering if signs to say please leave the sea creatures in the sea might be a good idea just for those extremely thick people out there!

Aruba since 1979
    respectfully, i am not sure that they are idiots........just probably ignorant imo.
    folks might just not "get it" and a gentle kind reminder by folks such as yourself is probably a good thing.

folks should indeed leave the creatures in the ocean.......

please do not hold humans underwater the prison in aruba is not a very nice place

we were at the beach today (york maine --Long Sands Beach) and saw numerous young kids.........preschoolers with sand pails of water and living sand dollars and snails and live crabs. i saw nothing wrong with this and i have to assume that when the kids and their caregivers were done with their pail of sea creatures the creatures went back into the water.

Lol maybe idiots and thick was a bit harsh. As for holding them under the water as much as I don't want to return to the UK I don't think I fancy kia (is that correct?) either lol. I don't mind if they keep them wet it's when it's grown men posing and saying yeah baby work that Starfish I get slightly irritated. I just love animals and hate what some humans put them through x

Aruba since 1979
    i hear you! i think it is probably not malicious, just ignorant.
    yes, life in the UK is probably better than the life in the prison......yes kia....but unsure of the spelling

i am guilty of feeding fish.........while snorkeling.......a no no as it supposedly destroys the reefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsLancaster2B View Post
    Lol maybe idiots and thick was a bit harsh. As for holding them under the water as much as I don't want to return to the UK I don't think I fancy kia (is that correct?) either lol. I don't mind if they keep them wet it's when it's grown men posing and saying yeah baby work that Starfish I get slightly irritated. I just love animals and hate what some humans put them through x

My dd chases those who are looking for souvenirs and persists until the starfish is put back in the water.

She and I have gotten into the habit of taking any starfish we see close to shore and swimming out to the deeper water with them and placing them on the bottom.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    10 Facts About Starfish (Sea Stars)

Starfish (sea stars) are beautiful animals that can be a variety of colors, shapes and sizes, although all resemble a star. While some appear smooth, they all have spines covering their upper surface and a soft underside. If you gently turn over a live sea star, you'll see its tube feet wiggling back at you. These iconic marine animals are fascinating creatures. Learn more about them below.

More info and pictures at link:

http://marinelife.about.com/od/inver...astarfacts.htm

IMO, it's a good idea to educate people about Starfish and put signs up on the beaches.

Agree it's all about education!

Wow love the Starfish facts I didn't realise about the eyes on their legs! Have just taken a few out deeper from outside the Amsterdam Manor

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsLancaster2B View Post
    Wow love the Starfish facts I didn't realise about the eyes on their legs! Have just taken a few out deeper from outside the Amsterdam Manor
    I didn't know it neither until I looked up the info.

Thanks for caring for animals.

Lets not forget about Coral

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    I didn't know it neither until I looked up the info.

Thanks for caring for animals.
    We need to instruct people about coral as well. Coral is made up of thousands of individual sea creatures. When people step on it while snorkeling it kills hundreds of animals. The coral worldwide is in danger from polutents and ignorant people. Thanks to efforts of Aquariums and special interest groups, coral farms have been started in the Florida keys and other places around the world.
    We need to remember everything we put down our drains makes its way into lakes and oceans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast