Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Starfish Patrol

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by wannagoback View Post
    We need to instruct people about coral as well. Coral is made up of thousands of individual sea creatures. When people step on it while snorkeling it kills hundreds of animals. The coral worldwide is in danger from polutents and ignorant people. Thanks to efforts of Aquariums and special interest groups, coral farms have been started in the Florida keys and other places around the world.
    We need to remember everything we put down our drains makes its way into lakes and oceans.
    Excellent point! I completely agree.

When we were there in April there were so many starfish up by Arashi Beach I was amazed...And there were so many close to the shore but I didn't see anyone taking them out of the ocean.
    We also snorkeled out pretty far and dove down and picked up a few to take pictures, but I would never in a million years have even thought to take one out and keep it...might be that I scuba dive and have a better understanding of the ocean's eco system then the average person.....

Maybe a bulletin board at the entrance to the hotels could tell tourists that they should not take sealife out of the ocean....or even a note in their arrival package mentioning this will let them know how much the ecology could be affected by this......Andrea, maybe mention this to the ATA and give them an idea !!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Excellent point! I completely agree.
    That's a very valid point

CK1
    Sometimes I have seen that Starfish were used in photos together with empty Seashells, like in wedding photos where the Starfish was "decorated" with the wedding rings. Or Starfish are laying in the sand as some additional decoration for something written in the sand or as decoration for sand castles etc.

I think that is also were the wrong picture is given, the impression that Starfish are similar to empty Seashells.

As mentioned before, it would be a fabulous idea to educate people by a friendly reminder that Starfish are live animals and to kindly leave them in the ocean.

Aruba since 1979
    i think all should mention to their home resorts that "all living sea life belongs in the sea" notices be posted.
    an ideal place would be on the palapas and at the towel huts.
    i did shoot the ata notice to check out this thread.

Thank you Andrea I think that's a great idea, I only thought about the notices when I spotted ones on boca catalina reminding you to take your rubbish with you, I read them and thought if I've spent time to read maybe others would if it mentioned sea creatures.

CK1
    Wonderful, Andrea. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12