Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dom

Stepped on something on beach

A couple of weeks ago I was walking the beach with my wife in the area of the Tam. While walking in the shallow water as the waves broke on the beach, I stepped on something in the sand. I did not see anything, but it felt as if I had stepped on a lit cigarette. Obviously, it was not a cigarette because it was in the water. Although I had no mark at all on the bottom of my foot, it hurt for about 2 hours before the pain subsided. It was a burning pain that felt like there was some type of barb in my foot. The only think I can think of is that I got stung by a jelly fish, however I have never before seen any jelly fish in Aruba. Any other thoughts on what it could have been?
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

There are very, very small jellyfish that I've seen in Aruba. Though I've never seen one on the beach, usually only from De Palm island and only when I've been diving. The sting from them has only ever lasted a few minutes though.

Maybe an urchin?
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

I don't think that it was a jellyfish because it's very rare that you can step on them. Usually they are floating in the water they don't just stay in the sand at the bottom. I would say maybe a small stingray, sea urchins, coral piece?

Crab bite? Happened to me at the Tam last month.

Awwww, yuk...now let's not mention that kind of stuff or every time I go in the water and something floats by me I'll be jumping around like a mexican jumping bean....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Kicking back and relaxing for two weeks, on the beach.. Jewelry Shopping and the Alhambra...........
    It could of been one of those things that kind of looks like birdox but has very sharp thorns, hurts like hell to step on them.. Usually find them at the end of the property near building 2400+ in all of the vines that grow on the ground in the sand.. You think your safe without sandals, I learned quickly..

Dom
    Quote Originally Posted by beckybnott View Post
    It could of been one of those things that kind of looks like birdox but has very sharp thorns, hurts like hell to step on them.. Usually find them at the end of the property near building 2400+ in all of the vines that grow on the ground in the sand.. You think your safe without sandals, I learned quickly..
    I know what you are talking about because I have stepped on those thorny things on the beach before. However, this was not one of them. As far as I can determine, it was also not a sea unchin. I have seen sea urchins before when I snorkle, but they tend to be rather large and are on the ocean floor in the deeper water, not on the beach.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

In the 90's while staying at Bushiri, Mimi stepped on something in the water. No a lot of pain or discomfort at the time but roughly two weeks after we returned home she could not walk. 6 doctors and a month of in and out of the hospital, they never did identify what was wrong. Then the symptoms disappeared as quickly as they came on. Ever since, if we're walking in the water, water shoes.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

we call them sand spurs in NC. They hurt and you can't walk anywhere near grass at the beach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast