Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strike

Congratulations to the workers......... and all of us motherland lovers!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by beastnatch View Post
    I got tired of finding where I left off on the old one every time it got updated .
    As long as you are signed in, if you go to a thread and click the it should take you to your last unread post.

Thanks, I never knew about clicking on the check box.That is a very helpful shortcut.

Pete

Smile Great News

Great news since we are leaving tomorrow!! Also, great news for all the hard workers who make it worth coming to visit.

Off to finish packing.

They Call That a Raise

I too am glad that the strike is over. I just have one issue with their contract - what kind of raise is Afl. 105 per month? That is equal to $60.00 per month or $15.00 per week or 37 cent raise per hour for a 40 hour work week. How can anyone live off of that raise. That does not even keep pace with inflation. I guess I am used to strong unions in New Jersey. ----Just my 2 cents....

Quote Originally Posted by Retagger View Post
    I too am glad that the strike is over. I just have one issue with their contract - what kind of raise is Afl. 105 per month? That is equal to $60.00 per month or $15.00 per week or 37 cent raise per hour for a 40 hour work week. How can anyone live off of that raise. That does not even keep pace with inflation. I guess I am used to strong unions in New Jersey. ----Just my 2 cents....
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/f7/aruba-strike-30533/index2.html#post106904
    "Instead of Easter Monday as was agreed in court, the parties met on Good Friday already. During that meeting, the government proposed right away to pay the public employees 65 florins per month in compensations."

According to the same article in the link above, the government originally offered Afl. 80 per month. I never heard how much the government workers were asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Retagger View Post
    I too am glad that the strike is over. I just have one issue with their contract - what kind of raise is Afl. 105 per month?
    The fact that's stranger is my mind is how they could give a flat increase vs. a percentage. I'm assuming that their are varying pay scales among the government employees (though I could be wrong) so a flat rate increase would be a much larger percentage of one employee's salary vs. another.

I guess I just don't understand enough about it to make an informed decision, but on the surface it appears odd.

Yahoo!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12