• 3 Post By act1966
  • 5 Post By Andrea J.
  • 3 Post By act1966

Thread: Students to Holland.

Aruba since 1979

Students to Holland.

http://curacaochronicle.com/social/m...e-netherlands/

this is is an annual event.
    many aruban students go to college in holland and other places abroad.

So cool!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I've seen pictures of departures from recent years(the Aruba Airport Facebook page), and a few videos on youtube(in papiemento)of departures from back in the 80's. It used to be that all those students going to Holland for University would fly out on the same day. Due to the huge numbers of family and friends going to the airport to see their young ones off, the crowd would grow to unmanageable levels. So to make the process less stressful and smooth, they started to divide the students into groups, with each group departing within a day of the other. They even have an ambulance on standby in the event that a parent or family gets to overcome with emotions as their young one walks through into the departure area to passport control and the security check. The students are accompanied by chaperons on the flight and on arrival in Holland they will be met by other volunteers at the airport, who will accompany the students onto the schools where they will be studying for the next couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by vallond View Post
    They even have an ambulance on standby in the event that a parent or family gets to overcome with emotions as their young one walks through into the departure area to passport control and the security check.
    That's not quite how it went down when I left for school. I remember my mother taking one look at my first-year residence room and going, "Ugh... we're leaving. Good luck." LOL

Aruba since 1979
    Hahaha
    i gave my parent's the bum's rush as I needed to get down to business bending my elbow.
    They picked me up 1st week of oOctober 1973 and told me my live away privileges were gone!
    i was forced to be a commuter. . I was a bad girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    That's not quite how it went down when I left for school. I remember my mother taking one look at my first-year residence room and going, "Ugh... we're leaving. Good luck." LOL

Aruba since 1979
    I f course the aruba students will be better behaved and more responsible than I.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Hahaha
    i gave my parent's the bum's rush as I needed to get down to business bending my elbow.
    They picked me up 1st week of oOctober 1973 and told me my live away privileges were gone!
    i was forced to be a commuter. . I was a bad girl.
    Bad = Fun

I'm assuming they sent you to some version of Sister Mary's Home For Wayward Girls...?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    I f course the aruba students will be better behaved and more responsible than I.
    Probably not! Lots of things are legal there than in Aruba.

I was in Amsterdam two weeks ago-lots of college aged students partaking in what is legal there.

I don't think they will get into too much hi-jinks and shenanigans like the majority of College/University Students. Their education is being paid for by the government of Aruba( or it could also be paid for by the government of the Netherlands as Aruba is still an overseas territory). While some do remain in Holland following graduation, many do return home to begin their professional careers, hence the reason why first dibs for available jobs go to qualified locals before they make them available to qualified outsiders.

My college experience was relatively tame. My roommate's dad was an Anglican Priest who would drop in to visit from time to time, thus we mastered the art of the rapid quick clean once we knew he was in the vicinity of our campus. Can't tell you how many bottles of alcohol we hid behind our text books, in the bottom drawer of our desks, and behind boxes under our beds. Fun times.