Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Suitcase with food or Shop in Aruba?

Suitcase with food or Shop in Aruba?

Hi Everybody, newly registered to the forum but have been following the site and reading the posts for some time now. We travel every year to Aruba and usually will pack one checked bag with food (cereal, pancake mix, canned goods, pasta, condiments etc.). Usually stay for 2 weeks at a time and we usually overpack and end up leaving the non opened food in the room for the next guests. I usually will stop in at Super Foods grocery store and pick up say milk, bread and eggs but have never shopped for more than that. We usually will make breakfast and lunch in the room while on the beach and then go out for dinner during our stay. I know prices are higher compared to the U.S. but wondering what everybody else does. Do you find it easier to shop in Aruba or bring food with you? Thanks. Ralph.

We've found that it is easier for us to just shop upon arrival on Aruba. Other than beer, grocery prices are similar to USA - not so much difference to break the bank, though.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum ralph.

we bring some stuff with us. mostly meals that we prepare at home, freeze and bring with us (pasta/sauce, pot roast and veggies etc) and yes stuff stays frozen.

we bring a pound or 2 of dunkin donut coffee.

most of the other stuff such as milk, eggs, bread, salad fixings etc, we buy at lings.

we fly swa and have free checked bags, so i have no problem with bringing food.

i find for us it works and is convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith1286 View Post
    Hi Everybody, newly registered to the forum but have been following the site and reading the posts for some time now. We travel every year to Aruba and usually will pack one checked bag with food (cereal, pancake mix, canned goods, pasta, condiments etc.). Usually stay for 2 weeks at a time and we usually overpack and end up leaving the non opened food in the room for the next guests. I usually will stop in at Super Foods grocery store and pick up say milk, bread and eggs but have never shopped for more than that. We usually will make breakfast and lunch in the room while on the beach and then go out for dinner during our stay. I know prices are higher compared to the U.S. but wondering what everybody else does. Do you find it easier to shop in Aruba or bring food with you? Thanks. Ralph.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 03-11-2016 at 11:04 AM. Reason: per usual typo

Quote Originally Posted by Smith1286 View Post
    Definitely easier to shop in Aruba - especially now that they've extended their hours on arrival days (Saturday and Sunday).

We're actually thrilled to have access to US and European products that we can't get/find in Canada.

We're a little different as we own a home down there so take it with a grain of salt... salt which you can buy at SuperFoods!

We do almost all our shopping in Aruba. We do pack a couple of pounds of coffee, sugar (so you don't have to buy 2 pounds of sugar for two weeks) and Equal for DW. DW also packs some snacks like peanut butter crackers, candies, etc. We buy all meals/recipe ingredients at Ling's and Super Foods.

As Andrea stated SWA does allow 2 free luggage plus one carry one..
    I plan on bringing some of my own food including frozen meats... after speaking to a rep on SWA you can either carry it on as long as their is no ice packs or
    put it in your suitcase with ice packs.

We always travel with just a carry on. Other than a snack for the plane ride we shop in Aruba.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

We have 2 free cked bags each that we fill with beer (micros and gluten free). We do all our food shopping when we get there. It's fun to shop the local stores. And price wise we don't see a huge difference.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    It's quite easy to buy the groceries I need in Aruba. I love the Dutch items and bought them usually at Super Food. I liked the Dutch cookies so much that I brought some of them home with me.

Although we eat also most breakfasts and lunches in the room, we never bring food to Aruba. Over many trips we have found it much easier to just pack and travel light with carry-ons only. We would never want to lug all of that stuff and would rather support the local stores buying healthy groceries at Ling's or Superfoods, even if the prices are a little higher. Before we check in, we stop for what we need, along with beverages & Brites. Sometimes we will bring our own coffee.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast