Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Suitcase with food or Shop in Aruba?

If it's a particular item that you cannot find on the island then bring it along, if it happens to be something that you can find on Aruba purchase it there. Coming from T&T I am really quite amazed by the diversity of items that you can find in the Grocery stores on Aruba.

Hi Folks! Deb and I are headed back in June. I usually pack a couple of the plastic fifths of Vodka and Rum ( I put into a gallon ziplock and then into another one and position them in the suitcase with some clothes to protect. Anyone had any issues with that? I have done it since 2000 when we first started coming and never had an issue but we had to skip last year so I just wanted to check back. We also do the usual of some condiments, sweetner, kourig cups...snacks..etc, everything else we get at Lings or Superfoods. When we were there in 2014, we got the seafood from the seafood store that is the the newer Superfoods complex and brought it back to the Ocean club and grilled. It was awesome, a bit pricey, but cheaper than restaurant meals every night. Getting very excited and loving getting back into reading all your wonderful stories, trips and information!... Brad & Deb

Aruba since 1979
    nice to see you back posting!

we bring liquor in our checked bag. yes in plastic fifth containers, then in zip lock bags and then wrapped in bubblewrap.
    we wrap lots of crushables in bublewrap.

it is indeed cheaper eating in ...than out.

during your next visit, on a night when you plan on eating in....buy some fresh grouper at Lings.
    the grouper in the green marinade there is out of this world and works out to less than $10 lb.

going beyond the pricing, if folks are in aruba for longer than a week......sometimes folks just want to eat in!!
    there are some nights when we are tired, maybe have had a bit too much to drink or a bit too much sun.......all we want is some cheese and crackers and a glass of wine.

Quote Originally Posted by bradrobster View Post
    Hi Folks! Deb and I are headed back in June. I usually pack a couple of the plastic fifths of Vodka and Rum ( I put into a gallon ziplock and then into another one and position them in the suitcase with some clothes to protect. Anyone had any issues with that? I have done it since 2000 when we first started coming and never had an issue but we had to skip last year so I just wanted to check back. We also do the usual of some condiments, sweetner, kourig cups...snacks..etc, everything else we get at Lings or Superfoods. When we were there in 2014, we got the seafood from the seafood store that is the the newer Superfoods complex and brought it back to the Ocean club and grilled. It was awesome, a bit pricey, but cheaper than restaurant meals every night. Getting very excited and loving getting back into reading all your wonderful stories, trips and information!... Brad & Deb

Palm Beach. Eagle Beach. Baby beach. Moombas. Bugaloe. Piano bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    nice to see you back posting!

we bring liquor in our checked bag. yes in plastic fifth containers, then in zip lock bags and then wrapped in bubblewrap.
    we wrap lots of crushables in bublewrap.

it is indeed cheaper eating in ...than out.

during your next visit, on a night when you plan on eating in....buy some fresh grouper at Lings.
    the grouper in the green marinade there is out of this world and works out to less than $10 lb.

going beyond the pricing, if folks are in aruba for longer than a week......sometimes folks just want to eat in!!
    there are some nights when we are tired, maybe have had a bit too much to drink or a bit too much sun.......all we want is some cheese and crackers and a glass of wine.
    We find it cheaper and more convenient (more room in checked bags, as we stay for 2 weeks), to purchase at duty-free, and carry-on to plane. The prices are better at duty-free than they are at home, so it works well for us.

I am curious if anyone has done a price comparison for beer, at Lings, Superfoods, etc.?

I did Lings vs Price Smart vs Duty Free:

Price Smart Versus Lings - Liquor Price Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post

One of my favorite threads ever posted on the forum!

This alone will make me shop at Price Smart next month. LOL!! Do I have to purchase a membership to get this price?

I think I paid around $58 USD at Super Food last year for the same bottle.

Moet and Chandon Brut (750 ml)

Price Smart is AWG 84.95 ($48.54 USD)
    Lings is AWG 109.99 ($62.85 USD)
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    This alone will make me shop at Price Smart next month. LOL!! Do I have to purchase a membership to get this price?

Right?!?

Now... if we could just convince Price Smart to keep it chilled in a cooler for "readiness"!

Yes, that's a member price.

Amy - did you ever notice if it's available in Duty Free when you're exiting QB? I've never checked.

Right?!?

Now... if we could just convince Price Smart to keep it chilled in a cooler for "readiness"!

Yes, that's a member price.

Amy - did you ever notice if it's available in Duty Free when you're exiting QB? I've never checked.
    I check Duty Free EVERY TIME we fly in. LOL! Only thing I saw equivalent a few years ago was a bottle of Laurent Perrier at a very good price that I knew was cheaper than the grocery stores so we bought one (should have bought two!) But ever since then I've never seen anything remotely decent in the wine/champagne category (they carry very few bottles.) But I still look with hopes that I get lucky again one of these days.....

Can you still get a free day pass to shop there? I think you had to pay 10% more over the actual prices if you used a day pass?
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 04-20-2016 at 02:29 PM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post

Yep, you need a membership to purchase at those prices. Here is a link:

https://shop.pricesmart.com/ar/en/membership

I already have my form filled out, I figure it will save us a bunch as we're going to be there for 3 weeks. Yearly membership is about 35 bucks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast