Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Sunscreens

Sunscreens

Hubby and I went to the dermatologist today-my yearly check and his 6 month check. We got onto the topic of sunscreens again. The doctor, said that Consumer Reports tests sunscreens for their effectiveness and did so earlier this year. Surprisingly, Wal-Mart brand Equate was one of the top performing sunscreens and one of the least expensive. She said that some of the more expensive brands(and some cheap ones too) are not what they appear to be, meaning, the SPF of 70 is not what you are getting. She said you are better off with a lower SPF that works as it's SPF indicates than a higher SPF that does not.

I do not subscribe to CR any more, so I can't access the list unless I get to the library, however; you can see some info at

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...s/buying-guide

Thanks Robin
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

We've used the Walmart brand with great success over the years. It does leave a weird film though that comes off in the shower.

We're trying the brand we found at Costco.ca on the next trip (Kinesys).

I used to use no-ad all the time but have a hard time finding it nowadays. It actually got a good report from CR before and it worked really well. I do use Walmart brand as well as the old favs...coppertone, hawaiian tropic, etc......it all works as long as you use it properly...you may not be getting an spf of 30, but as long as u keep slathering it on every couple hours and after the water it protects pretty well....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    I used to use no-ad all the time but have a hard time finding it nowadays. It actually got a good report from CR before and it worked really well. I do use Walmart brand as well as the old favs...coppertone, hawaiian tropic, etc......it all works as long as you use it properly...you may not be getting an spf of 30, but as long as u keep slathering it on every couple hours and after the water it protects pretty well....
    I purchased my No AD at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue M. View Post
    I purchased my No AD at Walmart.
    have a few days before trip will check out walmart, although I swear I didn't see any last time there. could be area that we live in, maybe different products available at different stores.....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    have a few days before trip will check out walmart, although I swear I didn't see any last time there. could be area that we live in, maybe different products available at different stores.....
    It's always available on their website
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

The generic Walmart Equate stuff works pretty well. Been using it for many years on the boat. Does make a mess of the vinyl when people spray in the boat or lean on it with the stuff on. Not a big fan of lotions...too messy...although, they do come in handy for drawing on people when they fall asleep!!

Never take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive!!

Aruba since 1979
    i am not a fan of the lotions either, as i do not like the mess and inconvenience.
    the spray sunblock works well providing one covers the area completely.
    be careful spraying the sunblock indoors as it could get on your flooring and make a slippery spot.
    i spray down daily indoors before i head off to water aerobics.
    i also use the coppertone stick....nose and lip goop.
    Quote Originally Posted by banchi View Post
    The generic Walmart Equate stuff works pretty well. Been using it for many years on the boat. Does make a mess of the vinyl when people spray in the boat or lean on it with the stuff on. Not a big fan of lotions...too messy...although, they do come in handy for drawing on people when they fall asleep!!

Especially for kids, the spray is much easier to hit a moving target with!!

Never take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast