Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: AT&T iPhone usage in Aruba

AT&T iPhone usage in Aruba

So I have been researching the many, many posts and it appears getting a burner phone or renting is the best option everyone seems to propose. But, I have a question: My iPhone 6s can do calling over wi-fi, so why wouldn't I just leave it set with Airplane Mode turned on and Wi-Fi turned on? That way I could get texts, emails, and make calls all via wi-fi without impacting my plan at all...? Am I missing something with this solution?

Thanks!

Aruba since 1979
    yes!
    however, you'd have to make sure that you were in a free wifi area
    or

OR
    you could buy a sim card from setar or digicel and use it for data/internet/phone calls

Quote Originally Posted by Sidefly View Post
    So I have been researching the many, many posts and it appears getting a burner phone or renting is the best option everyone seems to propose. But, I have a question: My iPhone 6s can do calling over wi-fi, so why wouldn't I just leave it set with Airplane Mode turned on and Wi-Fi turned on? That way I could get texts, emails, and make calls all via wi-fi without impacting my plan at all...? Am I missing something with this solution?

Thanks!

Many of those posts were likely before wifi calling on the 6s
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Our family tried doing that with iPhones, but the problem arose when we were all going separate ways. The ability to make phone calls over wifi requires downloading an app. I didn't care for it, but can't remember why. And, we found we didn't really need to contact each other while all of us were at the resort. But, when we went our separate ways there wasn't always wifi available to be able to use the phone. For example, if you are sitting on the beach using the hotel wifi and someone in your family is downtown shopping, they won't be able to contact you unless they find a wifi spot.

We decided on doing things the old fashion way. If someone was going off on their own, we decided on a time for us to all meet back up, or to check in. I put my phone away for the week. It was refreshing not to be attached to it.

Also make sure wifi calling is turned on in settings

I downloaded an app called "What'sApp" (iPhone 6) and make calls via wifi to any phone that also has the app. I used it a lot this past winter when we were there. Check with your provider for any temporary international plans. For example, my daughter has Verizon and she can use her phone as much as she wants for $10 for a 24 hour period. If you can plan your activity, a plan like this may be a good deal.

Thank you for the replies. We really only need it to check in on the kids each day (staying with grandparents).

With AT&T Wi-Fi calling or maybe it's my 6s, I don't need and special apps. If I can connect to a wi-fi signal, I can make and receive calls. I wonder if I will have to use the country code to call back to the U.S.? I guess we will find out!

I guess we could Facetime them as well... assuming the Marriott wi-fi can handle that bandwidth.

Facetime is a great option! We FT with our dogs while we are in Aruba....yup, we're crazy and obviously so are our sitters who deal with us FTing with the pups!

Aruba since 1979
    how did we ever live without FaceTime?

we have used our iphone 6 doing FT from surfside beach and renaissance island beach.

and in aruba, we can use skype to make local calls....voip (internet call) using free wifi

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Jacki, you are not crazy. I discovered facetime and plan on using that also in Aruba. I only call home to check on my furry babies, too. but now comcast on its xfinity connect app has voice2go so you are basically doing the same thing as facetime without the face, lol...but you do have to have their comcast home phone, which we do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast