Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

T-Mobile, free text, data and WiFi calling in Aruba

Hi

I was exploring options so that I can call, or text the USA while in Aruba since we will be traveling over the holidays. T-Mobile offers free text messaging, free data, and free WiFi calling for USA customers while in Aruba and another 100+ countries.

A call without WiFi is 20 cents a minute, both incoming or out going. I just called T-Mobile to confirm and my current plan fits the above.

I do plan to unplug in Aruba, but my wife and I will want to call family on Christmas, and maybe New Years.

No need for us to purchase a Sim card on the island.

I was also reading on this site about GPS service, maps etc. It will be interesting to try google maps on my phone in Aruba. Presently my phone works just like my old garmin device but with free live traffic updates. More info is below:

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-p...countries.html

Aruba since 1979
    without wifi is there a ROAMING charge? i would question them again about roaming and data.
    please double check with them again.

i was talking with a lady 2 days ago at the pool.
    she came up to me and thanked me. i had no idea who she was.
    she told me that 2 years ago i had warned her about data and roaming charges.
    apparently verizon told her the international plan was the be all and the end all and that there were no hidden charges.
    at the time i guess i warned her about the data and roaming.
    well she then put her phone in airplane mode, and used only wifi.
    when her bill came it was over $200 for just a few days worth of international charges , roaming and data.
    i vaguely recollect the conversation that i had with her.
    i hate to see folks get screwed over by their cell phone company.

if you can find the time, check with T mobile again.
    i really hope that you get the deal of which you speak from T mobile.

i have a verizon iphone5s.
    it is not unlocked.
    i have it set in airplane mode.
    using wifi.
    i am able to make skype calls,emails and text using "what's app" or" iMessage "
    on that phone ...... and my iPad and iphone and macbook i have been using FaceTime daily.

We plan to disconnect BUT I still like to be informed as to my options. I also thought I understood my cell. My plan was to put it in airplane mode and if I felt the need to check emails I could use the wifi. Then I read your comment about Imessage. I also have a Verizon 5S. So, I go to apple.com and read that when the message is in blue then you are in IMessage. Regular texts are green. I then check my phone and see the bulk of them are in blue. Who knew!!?? I've only been using this phone for a year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    We plan to disconnect BUT I still like to be informed as to my options. I also thought I understood my cell. My plan was to put it in airplane mode and if I felt the need to check emails I could use the wifi. Then I read your comment about Imessage. I also have a Verizon 5S. So, I go to apple.com and read that when the message is in blue then you are in IMessage. Regular texts are green. I then check my phone and see the bulk of them are in blue. Who knew!!?? I've only been using this phone for a year!!
    Peg,
    Radisson wifi is great and works as far out as th beach.
    We used facebook messenger as our way of texting our friends to meet up while in Aruba. We are all android users. My friend works for Verizon wireless and even he chose not to use data or roaming due to the costs. We did not use airplane mode but made sure mobile data was off on all devices.
    Keep us posted on T-Mobile, that deal sounds good.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Thanks Tracey. Still can't believe you're home already!! Most of our family use Iphones so IMessage is a good option. Neither of us are phone people and I plan to leave the IPad home. It's good to know that the Radisson wifi is a good option though because I may want to check emails.

No WiFi, no problem, they say there are no more roaming charges to the countries listed on the above link, one of which is aruba.

I called back because we will be there for 16 days and that bill would kill me if there are hidden fees. I will call them again a few days before our trip.

It does sound to good to be true, I agree.
    Last edited by ArubaMike; 11-16-2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: typo

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    I found an article dated March 2014:

Hands On: T-Mobile's free international roaming

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2113440/on-the-road-with-tmobiles-free-international-roaming.html

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    And another interesting article. I believe, speed (being slow) when surfing the net might be a problem when using T-Mobile International.
    The article mentions to buy a SIM card in the country one is staying, however, I believe that is only possible if someone has an unlocked phone (with T-Mobile International plan the phone is locked, IMO). It's an interesting topic, I'm still learning and look forward to read about the experience others have with international calling.

Exploring Asia with T-Mobile's free global roaming

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/16/t-mobile-free-roaming/