Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

AT&T Service & International Plan

I have a question, AT&T is offering a $24.99 20MB International deal. They say it's for netowrking, texting, email, etc. But being not very savvy on the MB's, what does 20MB really mean and is it worth it?

When I was talking with an AT&T Rep. and asked the same question he was vague and obviously didn't know the answer. I called back got another rep. and the same thing again. I am hoping someone here can help, thanks!!!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    No one at ATT know what they are taking about, well, at least whomever I have talked to....relative got a $700 bill when all calls were suppost to be free. I find the same thing skippy, no one answers the questions the same. Sorry to say that i have the cell phone plan tied into our acct, the kids keep getting new cells, which ups the 2 yr plan even more...UGH...
    anyway, good luck with your findings, let us know how you make out.

Aruba since 1979
    from what i have been told with ATT as well as Verizon Cell international rates is the hidden fees are the killers.

i am just amazed at how convoluted their pricing plans are.

I have AT&T and I looked into an international plan when in Aruba. For a week, it didn't make sense to go that route. Bottom line, with regular cell service, I paid $2.00/minute for calls to the US. I only made one call when I arrived and relied on internet (using resort computer) the rest of the time I was there.

Thanks fpr the advice and glad to know I'm not alone!!!

Talking I too talked to ATT

My first post here. We're scheduled to arrive in Aruba April 5th and are leaving the kids with grandma in the states. I absolutely want to be able to have contact with them periodically, so I stopped into the local ATT store. I saw a global plan online for $5.95 a month I believe. However, the gentleman I spoke to said that the plan only lowers the per minute fee for calls, does not cover data (I believe that means email, internet).

The best information the gentleman gave me, however, was the fact that I should leave my phone turned OFF. When it is on, apparently it continually searches for my email and I will get charged for data transfer. He did say that if I went to a wi-fi internet hot spot, I would be fine.

Bottom line, I think we'll never know the whole story, and we'll all get a different one with each rep we talk to. My solutions are to either purchase a short term use phone once we get to the island or use the internet. My children are old enough for that.

I'm also reminding myself that I believe the Holiday Inn still has landlines, which are fine in an emergency. I'm going to be on vacation, put away the phone!

Welcome to the forum.

If you are going to be phoning the states that often from Aruba, imo rent a cell phone there or use skype.

Cell Phone Rental for Calls to US

Cell Phone Rental Question

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/skype.html

I used ATT last year by getting the international plan for just the time we were gone. It was $5.00 plus--can't remember. Well, my hubby had to go to the hospital while we were there, so I had to make some US calls. My phone bill was over $300.00! This year, by the help of this wonderful forum, I am renting a cell phone thru Fastphones.
    Again--thanks to all of you!!!

Thanks, I think we also may rent a phone as well.