Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taking a instrument

Taking a instrument

We will be in Aruba for 4 weeks, and my daughter takes guitar lessons back at home. She really doesn't want to go 4 weeks without playing and practice. Not sure if we should bring her guitar, she thinks it could get damaged, or does anyone know if there might be somewhere to rent one? Anyone have experience with bringing a guitar or instrument with them, cost and safety? When she was taking piano lessons, we stay at LaCabana, they have a piano in the owners lounge so she would practice there. Thanks for any help. Dolores

Aruba since 1979
    There should be no issues with taking a guitar a carryon. Our son brought his in its case numerous times and it fit in the overhead carry on.
    but this was pror to 2004.
    Maybe carry on for guitars has changed in 9 yr?

Check with your airline. Like Andrea said most likely she can take it as her carry-on. Each airline is different.

I thought carry-ons needed to fit into the rectangular boxes you see near the check-in counters. Something as big as a guitar should go as checked luggage.

If, and only if, the guitar (hopefully in a hardshell case) will fit in the overhead, then go ahead.
    Check the size of the overhead luggage compartment (you can find that info online) to be sure.
    The last thing you want is to be sitting in your seat on the plane and see one of the luggage gorillas
    tossing your daughters' guitar around like they don't care what it is.
    And the truth is, they don't.

Something as big as a guitar should go as checked luggage.
    I certainly hope that's meant in a nice way, because, the truth is, to a guitarist, that instrument can be and often is as precious as a child...
    Trust me. I'm one of them.
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    I agree with Mr. Ratt.

Here is an article about it:

5 Tips for Flying with Your Guitar

http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/2013/03/flying-with-your-guitar/

DELTA http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ial-items.html

"MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS

Musical instruments and/or equipment are accepted as checked baggage, carry-on baggage or cabin-seat baggage — depending on its size and shape — on Delta and Delta Connection® carriers flightsą. Please help us to keep your instrument safe by bringing it in a hard-shell case. ...

What Instruments Can I Carry On?

Guitars and other smaller musical instruments, such as violins, will be accepted as your free carry-on baggage item on Delta and Delta Connection® carriers flightsą. These items must easily fit in the overhead bin or other approved storage location in the cabin, based on available space at the time of boarding. Musical instruments may be gate claimed at the discretion of the passenger and as a result of limited overhead space.

"

Quote Originally Posted by rpumpire View Post
    I thought carry-ons needed to fit into the rectangular boxes you see near the check-in counters. Something as big as a guitar should go as checked luggage.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    DELTA http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ial-items.html

"MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS

Musical instruments and/or equipment are accepted as checked baggage, carry-on baggage or cabin-seat baggage — depending on its size and shape — on Delta and Delta Connection® carriers flightsą. Please help us to keep your instrument safe by bringing it in a hard-shell case. ...

What Instruments Can I Carry On?

Guitars and other smaller musical instruments, such as violins, will be accepted as your free carry-on baggage item on Delta and Delta Connection® carriers flightsą. These items must easily fit in the overhead bin or other approved storage location in the cabin, based on available space at the time of boarding. Musical instruments may be gate claimed at the discretion of the passenger and as a result of limited overhead space.

"

Thank you for the help. I will look into all the suggestions.

That's all great info, if you're indeed flying Delta. Otherwise, use your computer and get in touch with the airline.
    Not all the airlines deal with musical instruments the same way. For what it's worth, I get hassles (even with a guitar that fits perfectly in the overhead) from Air Canada, although, when we fly Westjet it's not a problem.
    But then, a lot of the staff on Air Canada seem to be gymnasts, in that they can bend in odd ways and insert their heads places most of us can't....
    As for renting a guitar on the island, trust me, it's not worth the headaches... if you can even find the shop that does the rentals.

Get your daughter to speak with the cabin crew, they'll be more helpful than those of us on the ground with differing opinions and experiences.
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Wouldn't a guitar pretty much take an entire compartment in an overhead bin? These days it hard enough to find available space because people bring such large carry-on bags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast